Pm Cameron Borrowing Like A Drunken Keynesian

pongo

This is quite an interesting article @ The Telegraph - obviously from the perspective of the economic right - arguing that despite talk of austerity, UK borrowing is little changed since the Brown era. The PM Cameron is compared to nice Mr Heath who is remembered by the economic right for talking of the need for change.

PS - the article continues after the related items page break - keep on scrolling down

That is an interesting article, and it does underline that nearly all 'change' is mostly rhetoric with a little tinkering. Perhaps if MP's were limited to 2 terms in parliament, there would be less party line toeing and more trying to do a good job for the country. It is difficult to see how anybody is going to stand up and be counted when there biggest concern is the next election. I agree you lose experienced politicians, but you gain people in touch with reality and experience of real world concerns.

Trust the Torygraph to kick off with "His speech yesterday was a fountain of good sense and hard truth" - pass the sick-bag Alice!

Cameron, Osborne and "Turncoat" Cleggy will be trumpeting dire warnings about the Eurozone crisis hitting the UK recovery for a while yet. This is, of course, complete and utter bollocks designed expressly to plant in Joe Public's mind that it's the Evil Empire across La Manche that's the source of all our economic woes. The plain and simple fact that Osborne's last budget did nothing whatever to turn our shrinking economy into one of growth they hope will go unnoticed in the coming shitstorm.

Unfortunately with a rather poor opposition they're probably right. Although they did get a good kicking in the local elections I don't see it being similar for a general election. Bad news all round for the disadvantaged in our society. Shameful really but they don't vote tory so fuck 'em...

Cameron, Osborne and "Turncoat" Cleggy will be trumpeting dire warnings about the Eurozone crisis hitting the UK recovery for a while yet. This is, of course, complete and utter bollocks designed expressly to plant in Joe Public's mind that it's the Evil Empire across La Manche that's the source of all our economic woes. The plain and simple fact that Osborne's last budget did nothing whatever to turn our shrinking economy into one of growth they hope will go unnoticed in the coming shitstorm.

I agree with you to a large extent, however for me the real blame lies with Gordon Brown.

Trust the Torygraph to kick off with "His speech yesterday was a fountain of good sense and hard truth" - pass the sick-bag Alice!

I believe that sentence was rather obviously supposed to be read in a slightly ironic or possibly even an unreservedly sarcastic tone. I think you missed that. The point being that they don't like Cameron.

I agree with you to a large extent, however for me the real blame lies with Gordon Brown.

That's a bit too specific, why stop at him, why not attack Tory Blair and his right-wing policies and then keep going to the ineffectual John Major or the iron lady herself. The point is all three political parties could now be stood be on the same postage stamp they are that similar, we have watched as the UK political system has become so centralised that there is no real right or left anymore, they are just puppets all playing the same tune with the only difference being personalities (and even they are now morphing into one with Cameron, Clegg and Milliband all coming from millionaire families and haven't done a days real work in their lives).

I believe that sentence was rather obviously supposed to be read in a slightly ironic or possibly even an unreservedly sarcastic tone. I think you missed that. The point being that they don't like Cameron.

No-one likes Cameron, he's a blank canvass puppet. At least Maggie, love her or loathe her, had something about her and some principles she stood for, he's just a limp excuse for a man let alone a politician.

The point being that they don't like Cameron.

The Torygraph doesn't like a tory PM?

I suspect, because I do not know, that the only reason for the piece was because there have been a lot of rumblings from tory MP's looking over their shoulder's at their electorate. The message they are getting is that "Cameron is not tory enough" and the local election results would put a lot at risk of losing their seats. I personally don't see a general election mirroring the local election results but the discontent is there all right. Maybe someone will challenge Cameron soon but I doubt it.

The point being that they don't like Cameron.

The Torygraph doesn't like a tory PM?

That should not surprise you. The Telegraph has been sniffy about Cameron since long before he became PM - and whose team were dubbed the Cameroons. Many of its readers are basically UKIP where as its writers are typically fairly close to the City.

Which is not to say that The Telegraph speaks with a single voice. Like The Guardian it has writers from both the old left and the new right.

ETA: the piece represents the lower taxes lobby btw

That should not surprise you. The Telegraph has been sniffy about Cameron since long before he became PM - and whose team were dubbed the Cameroons. Many of its readers are basically UKIP where as its writers are typically fairly close to the City.

I have never read the Torygraph. I view it as being somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan.

Interesting your mention of UKIP. I was a card-carrying Lib-Dem - no more. But I was concerned that many like me are totally disgusted with Cleggy's desperate need for the crumbs from Cameron's table which means he has ditched an awful lot that we stood for. With the result that the Lib-Dem vote is in danger of complete collapse. This would put in a tory in quite a few marginal seats. However one message from the local elections seems to be that where the Lib-Dem vote collapses UKIP would be a real threat. Hence the "Cameron's not tory enough" concern.

Either way a half-decent opposition would have had them constantly on the back foot. Sadly it seems more Michael Foot than anything else...

As previously posted the debt has been bumbling along between + or - approx £20m to £50m since 1980.

Not surprisingly the banking system in the USA and the EU quietly self-destructing caused it to go off a cliff in 2008. You can find figures all over t'inter that greatly vary. But the figures I last saw are:

05 - £42399

06 - £31802

07 - £34893

08 - £69231

09 - £152706

10 - £145998

11 - £124423

Cameron and Osborne want to reduce the Welfare State as much as they possibly can deficit in order to give already well-off tory voters tax cuts prior to the next general election. It was ever thus with tory governments.

The next UK election is going to be fascinating, you'd expect the centre left to be in the ascendant but I just can't see 'ruthless' Ed Milliband being elected

They'll have to dump him for David Milliband or Yvette Cooper

David Milliband was the Golden Boy of the Labour Party and then he disappeared off the radar, me thinks he's being wrapped in cotton wool, there's a big job lined up one day for that little runt.

Archived