Htc One X - Doesn't Sound Good (Literally)

Landed at MT this week and I've got one.

Amazing phone in almost every way but BE WARNED, the audio recording in video clips is absolutely dreadful, I mean properly, amazingly horrible. (Tinny, weak, reedy, no bass pickup, almost like it's being put through some sort of low bitrate sampling device.)

I didn't see it mentioned in any of the reviews I read, but having had a Google around with some specific search terms it does appear to have cropped up in quite a few comments and the more thorough reviews.

Probably not a show-stopper for a lot of folks, but if you regularly use your phone for video (as I do), it could be an issue.

The rest of the phone however, is awesome. (It's a bit big though, if you're used to a smaller handset, or you have small hands, or you're a girl, it could be problematic.)

What made you choose this over the Galaxy S3 next week Twonky? And isn't the HTC supposed to have "Beats" audio? (Not that that's saying much, as i tried the £300 Beats headphones out and they sounded like £50 shit!)

I much prefer HTC's UI to Samsung's UI, I think my trusty old Desire (which I had for over 18 months before I switched to the One X) is probably the best phone I've ever had.

I've read a few comparison reviews between the One X and S3 and they generally all say 'They're both brilliant, just pick the one that suits you best.'

Mind you, if I'd known how spectacularly horrible the audio recording is on the One X, I might have waited for the S3..... I've compared the audio on clips I've taken with the Desire to clips I've taken with the One X and the audio on the Desire's clips is in a totally different league.

I've raised a support ticket with HTC, maybe it's something they can can correct in the software.

This is the phone that I'm itching to get my hands on. Currently have a Galaxy S2 and if truth be told I much preferred my Desire, only bought the S2 because it was offered to me for the right price.

Looking at MT prices though it may be cheaper to get it elsewhere....

Looking at MT prices though it may be cheaper to get it elsewhere....

Understatement of the year!

Both Sure and MT's prices for the One X are, shall we say, 'interesting'.

There's actually one of the MT contract 'deals' whereby you're locked into a contract for a year AND you have to pay more upfront than it costs to just buy the bloody thing off Amazon, not sure who came up with that wizard deal up at MT HQ - someone who doesn't have the internet, perhaps.

I got it on one of the 24 month contracts, and I'm only paying £5 per month more than I was on my old SIM only tariff.

lol.jpg

Thankfully I'm not tied to any contract as such, just their rolling monthly scenario. Hadn't thought about giving Amazon a try for it, cheers for the heads up.

I was on the rolling SiM-only tariff before I got the One X, (prior to that I was on a contract for the Desire and when the contract came up I went onto SIM-only as the Desire was such a bloody good phone I saw no reason to change), but have gone back onto contract for the One X. 24 months is quite a long one but if I get on with the One X as well as I did my Desire, I can see it lasting two years - and since it's at the bleeding edge of mobile technology it should have some longevity in it.

I very nearly just bought it off Amazon but with the right contract options managed to get a decent wedge knocked off the handset and got the overall cost to be about 'price neutral' to buying it off Amazon and staying on my old SIM-only tariff.

You really do have to crunch the numbers with the MT contract prices, as they'll happily lock you into an extra £120 commitment over the course of the contract and knock something ridiculous like £30 off the upfront cost of the handset as compensation.

As for the One X itself, it's a stunning, stunning phone - the screen in particular is fucking voodoo, I've never seen the likes of it.

Real scummy what MT have done with the data too. Really makes me laugh when i hear their radio adverts saying how brilliant they are, and how you get "more data than you could use"

If Sure didn't have such a shitty reputation i would move to them in a heartbeat, but i hear nothing but complaints about them

If Sure didn't have such a shitty reputation i would move to them in a heartbeat, but i hear nothing but complaints about them

The data on Sure is dreadful, I've seen many different people with many different handsets all have the same issues of appalling data rates.

That Speedtest app you can get sometimes fails to start the latency is so bad, let alone actually complete the test with decent results.

Good god, here's what HTC Support have come back with.

Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your HTC One X.

My name is Ryan and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the sound quality on recorded videos being poor.

The reason for this is because the phone seems to be suffering from a software issue .

To resolve this, I would like you to perform the following steps:

What were going to do something called a hard reset. What this basically does is return to phone back to the original factory settings.

You will need to backup all the data saved on the phone as it will be erased.

Information saved to your SIM card or removable storage (SD card) will be unaffected.

Information like your contacts and calendar can be backed up by using HTC Sync (to your PC), a Google account or an exchange active sync. If you need more information on how to do this then just ask.

To perform a hard reset please do the following:

Go to the Home Screen

Press Menu

Tap Settings

Tap Storage

Tap Factory data reset

Tap Reset phone

If its not possible to do the reset through the software menu, try performing a factory reset with the phone turned off. Using the hardware buttons on the phone, please follow these instructions:

1. With the device turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.

2. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.

3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.

4. Press VOLUME UP to start the factory reset.

Please note; do not install all your programs/applications back to your device straight away as this may be the cause of the problem. We would suggest putting them slowly on one by one and keep checking the functionality of the phone.

Once the above is complete and if there are still issues, the next step would be removing all non default applications. For convenience purposes, we have detailed the steps below:

1. Go through the reset process again, however this time take your SD card out and do not put it back in.

2. After the phone has reset and rebooted, the initial set-up will require you to log back into your Google account. Skip this and do not log back in.

The reason why we are doing this is to stop possible software conflictions, software can be backed up to your Google account and SD card, so not allowing the phone access to these will prevent the software from being reinstalled.

Should you require additional support please reply using the link below and confirm the following details.

Full Name:

Address:

Contact Numbers:

IMEI (Found by dialling *#06# from your keypad or in the back of your phone):

To let me know I have successfully answered your query, please follow the link below to close your enquiry, you will have the opportunity to leave feedback about your experience contacting me today.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Ryan

HTC

Archived