Adhd Island

Amadeus

FFS, let's just get back to a bit of discipline!! Sorry,but kids need to be raised knowing that bad behaviour (tantrums, screaming fits etc) shouldn't be tolerated. When I was a kid if I (or my younger brother) yelled and screamed in a public place (be it a wedding, a shop, wherever), my parents took us outside so as not to cause a nuisance to others. Why why why don't people take responsibility for their kids these days? Why blame it on attention deficient discorders? A child will always make a loud fuss if they're not happy, they're children and don't know any different. If parents wrap them in cotton wool and let them continue to behave like that, where does any incentive to behave properly once they're old enough to do so come from? If you want kids, be prepared to discipline them and bring them up as decent human beings.

I can look back in humour now as it was a long time ago (at the time I was devastated)....I took my middle boy to nobles (a thing I would not do unless I was worried - I am doctor phobic personally) as he had chronic stomach pains....an hour later and lost in translation with several A&E doctors whose english was diabolical it ended up with a trip up to the childrens ward...in the space of two hours it had turned from stomach cramps, to a potential shadow on the lung....to breathing difficulties (he was grunting type thing due to the griping stomach pains). I was terrified my (as he was then) 15 month old boy potentially having breathing problems.........up in the childrens ward I was taken aside and asked if I had throttled my child, or if there was any chance my child had been throttled. I was horrified at the accusations being levvied my way....I had taken my child to the hospital with stomach pains and here I was being asked if I had throttled my child!!! Anyway - he was discharged when it was established I had not abused or attempted to murder my child....but this left a lasting and very negative impression on me as a young mum, I knew I had done nothing to my boy, yet the accusations and the stories you recall of mothers being accused of hurting their children, which after years of the mother being incarcerated are found to be untrue really weighed on my mind. Such was my paranoia, when he was proper ill about 6 months later (with gastroenteritis it transpired) I avoided the doctors for fear of further accusation, and ended up with a very ill boy who spent several days in hospital as an emergency. Older and wiser I would have done things differently if I could go back, but at the time, I was young and as I say, looking back I can sort of smirk about it - at the time it was very horrid indeed!

Your post confirms my worst suspicion about this policy. Children in the Isle of Man are actually less well protected because parents are becoming cautious about approaching the system for help in case they get falsely accused.

The policy makers need to re visit this one.

That reminds me of when my Mum took my brother to casualty for yet another nose bleed (this happened regularly and they weren't just normal nose bleeds) and the doctor asked her if he was a 'bleeder'. Of course she replied 'Well, he can be a bit of a sod at times'. Lucky they knew his problem!

If you have nothing to hide, you have no worries. Sometimes the first signs of a problem with a child only become apparent when a parent realises that the answers to these questions 'strike a chord'. Some child abusers are extremely clever in hiding things and the parents may have never had a clue.

I have to say this thread isn't an example of MF's best!

As most people know I favour an evidence based approach and looking at the figures I feel the reactions people are making about bad parenting, and doctors medicalizing children unnecessary are really overblown.

0.9% of the Island's under 18 have been prescribed Ritalin. 99.1% haven't. Less than one child in 100.

A typical year group at any one of the Island's big five secondary schools is made up of about 180 children - in the entire year group there will on average be less than 2 children on Ritalin.

Are people claiming there would only be one or two difficultly-behaved child in any given year group at one of our secondary schools? Surely not. Only a very small fraction of even the most challenging children will be prescribed ritalin. I can see no reason for claiming over medication from these figures.

Secondly I think you've got to be careful about saying that 1 in 100 child is just a boisterous kid and it being placed on ritalin due to over-zealous doctors, bad parenting or uncaring teachers.

ADHD is a complex issue. It should not be a stigma for the parents - I feel the "blame the parents" brigade who have waded are really over doing it - lots of kids have poor parents, lots of kids are boisterous in class - only 0.9% of children are considered in need of ritalin.

I went out with a special needs teacher many years ago - she saw ritalin as helping some children and it being a part of giving them care, I agree with that.

ADHD is not simply about bad behaviour or bad parenting or over-zealous doctors. Helping kids to control themselves to ensure they can learn and advance can create a virtuous circle. Ritalin isn't for every disruptive child, and the evidence shows the Island isn't using it this way.

Parents need help doing what is best for their children, that involves family, school and in a tiny percentage of cases (0.9% people!!) medical intervention.

Boisterousness is not ADHD, the causes of ADHD are complex, but need not be due to poor parenting etc. It's complex and both cognitive and chemical approaches combined can improve it.

The evidence shows ritalin can help in some circumstances - when that is involves expert input and i see no reason to jump up and down about these figures.

Excellent post Chinahand. Some may question your statisics. But I certainly can't fault your logic.

That reminds me of when my Mum took my brother to casualty for yet another nose bleed (this happened regularly and they weren't just normal nose bleeds) and the doctor asked her if he was a 'bleeder'. Of course she replied 'Well, he can be a bit of a sod at times'. Lucky they knew his problem!

If you have nothing to hide, you have no worries. Sometimes the first signs of a problem with a child only become apparent when a parent realises that the answers to these questions 'strike a chord'. Some child abusers are extremely clever in hiding things and the parents may have never had a clue.

In times gone by a visit to A&E was not a threatening experience. But with experiences such as We Like The Moon' reported : 'I was taken aside and asked if I had throttled my child' it stands to reason that some few parents might be cautious about taking their child to A&E if they hear stores about other parents being falsely accused. That's exactly what we don't want to happen. Parents must be able to approach the system with the confidence that they won't be wrongly suspected of deliberately harming their child. Of course, A&E should keep a weather eye out for child abuse. But there has to be a more subtle way than the present system.

Exactly Cronky and asking decent parents intrusive questions is not the way. Even if it does cover the ass of the hospital.

I would imagine if you were actually a nasty child beating twat, that surprise surprise, you would not tell the truth anyway and answer what you thought would be what they want to hear, so what is the point of them?

• 11 years later...
3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Seems every kid has ADHD these days

Back in the good old days, you could get amphetamines for everything from weight loss, to mild depression to being a long distance trucker.

The spoilt sports made all that illegal. 

Of course, for someone with ADHD, they generally calm them down rather than perk them up. 

• Haha 1

It's very difficult to actually get diagnosed, mainly because very few people here are qualified. Of course, if you have the cash, it's easy enough.

ADHD can be managed by medication but it's honestly better managed making life changes. Then it's possible to function at your best without the meds.