Mea Stack Demolition

traveller

When did the Pulrose Power Station first open when it was Douglas Corpn controlled?

When did the first chimmney stack come down?

When did the second stack go up?

How much did it cost?

What was it's designed useful life?

How long was it in operation?

and now its coming down...

I beleive it was built around 1986/87, for a cost of £60? million - designed to replace the old power station, and also remove the need for the one in Peel.

I remember seing quotes in the local rags at the time along the lines of it's designed to provide the entire Islands' power well into the next century.

It was a new plant at the time although the generators had many problems.

(I beleive they were prototypes, not the fully researched & completed design.)

I had also heard (hearsay perhaps ?) that the then chairman (Stan Kewley) had shares in the company that built the generators.

- He left around the time the station was completed (this scenario sounds strangely familiar???)

It was then found the the Pulrose powerstation was not adequate for the Islands needs, so another powerstation was built at Peel to help the Pulrose station fulfil the Islands needs!!!

This was also not enough!

Hence the new powerstation.

I'm sure many of us aware of the old saying "Once bitten, twice shy".

- To be screwed over, three times is just plain ridiculous.....

When did the Pulrose Power Station first open when it was Douglas Corpn controlled?

When did the first chimmney stack come down?

When did the second stack go up?

How much did it cost?

What was it's designed useful life?

How long was it in operation?

and now its coming down...

You could write to the MEA or get your MHK to ask the Industry Minister to answer these questions in the Keys.

And Planning is in the pipeline to build a new station in Ramsey, PGT were costing up the project while building the new Pulrose Station, I wonder why Mr Bell has not disclosed this to the public yet.

On the day that former Chief Executive of the MEA, Mike Proffit, left the MEA he told the staff in numerous meetings with them when he was saying goodbye, that the MEA had a letter from the Attorney General which stated that all the MEA borrowings were lawful.

Treasury Minister Alan Bell MHK must have known about that letter yet he denied all knowledge of MEA borrowings on Manx Radio.

Every word of my post can be substantiated by others.

Furthermore, Alex Downie, Minister for Trade and Industry must have known too.

The MEA comes under the control of the DTI.

Is it any wonder that the Keys have quite conveniently elevated Alex "chim chiminey chimchimeney cheroo" to LEGCO where he cannot be touched? And in a secret ballot so we the electors do not know which way our local MHK voted?

The point I am making is that ultimate responsibility for MEA borrowings lies with the DTI Minister and the Treasury Minister whether they have been right or wrong.

Democracy cannot be served by two faced little rodents scurrying up to LEGCO or Treasury Ministers denying everything when in the case of the present Treasury Minister he has already been censored for misleading Tynwald over the Mount Murray affair.

Sorry to all if this may be regarded as off thread but these points are valid in the light of the MEA Inquiry report by PKF which we all hope will identify once and for all who is responsible for what.

It is sad in one respect that a grovelling two faced chimney sweep has saved his butt by canvassing to escape the electorate while the Treasury Minister is in the firing line.

But members of the Keys should not have secret ballots on anything in the interest of true democracy.

I'm still chuckling about the trouble they are having knocking down the tower, as the consultant for the specification of the concrete and method of continuous pouring of the concrete whilst moving the shuttering up the tower, (thus there are no joins in it) - was a Manxie :P:D:lol::D:P

On the day that former Chief Executive of the MEA, Mike Proffit, left the MEA he told the staff in numerous meetings with them when he was saying goodbye, that the MEA had a letter from the Attorney General which stated that all the MEA borrowings were lawful.

It was also the AG who signed off the Grants to the Neds as Lawfull and its also the AG who is to make the decision on possible charges against the Neds.

Cover up all round me thinks :angry:

Archived