Mountain Watch

Mission

I know that some people think that speed limits are a panacea to road traffic collisions, however judging by the last few days on the Mountain road, no speed limit is ever going to deter the Darwin prize idiots who insist on overtaking and tailgating in the dark, rain, mist and thick fog as I have witnessed twice this weekend. Increased driver training/education, better and increased traffic policing and stiffer deterrent penalties for transgressors are more likely to work, but to be honest you will always get idiots. I just hope I do not meet them head on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The police have given up on speeding the odd time they do give it a go they put pictures on their media page as if this is something unique which it pretty well is on the Island.   I don’t think anyone really wants speed cameras but if the Police don’t pull there fingers out this is what will happen.   Perhaps this is the idea do little and that will be one job less for them and if cannabis gets legalised they will really be on a roll with their hate crime policy.   If anyone is as ancient as me and remembers Henry Corlett and Rex they will know what real policing was like.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I know that some people think that speed limits are a panacea to road traffic collisions, however judging by the last few days on the Mountain road, no speed limit is ever going to deter the Darwin prize idiots who insist on overtaking and tailgating in the dark, rain, mist and thick fog as I have witnessed twice this weekend. Increased driver training/education, better and increased traffic policing and stiffer deterrent penalties for transgressors are more likely to work, but to be honest you will always get idiots. I just hope I do not meet them head on.

Take the coast road.

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Take the coast road.

😁 Thanks, I will consider your advice.

I have just crossed the mountain and saw police officers at Windy Corner giving advice to a cyclist who thought it was a good idea to take a cycle in the fog. I think that they may be giving him similar advice as you did about the coast road.

Why should law abiding drivers who pay vehicle tax take the long meandering coast road and miss the great scenery that makes a drive to Ramsey a pleasure ?     The police should do their job properly and stop these idiots from discouraging decent people from using the only decent stretch of road on the Island if they are not capable of doing this get cameras up there.   Everyone is entitled to feel  safe making a legitimate journey for whatever purpose, it isn’t a motorway that stretches for miles it is a relatively short distance it should not be too difficult.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Why should law abiding drivers who pay vehicle tax take the long meandering coast road and miss the great scenery that makes a drive to Ramsey a pleasure ?     

While I agree with much of your post, what sort of scenery can you see on a day like today? I'd be using the coast road in these conditions, just to avoid the idiots who insist on driving like it's a fine sunny day regardless of how foggy and/or wet it is in reality. 

ETA: on a day like today you should be paying close attention to the road and other (possibly idiotically insane or insanely idiotic) drivers rather than gawping at the scenery anyway.  

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

😁 Thanks, I will consider your advice.

I have just crossed the mountain and saw police officers at Windy Corner giving advice to a cyclist who thought it was a good idea to take a cycle in the fog. I think that they may be giving him similar advice as you did about the coast road.

Sorry if my comment seemed a little terse! Wasn't meant to be. 😇

TBH I try not to use the Mountain Road during winter months or when there's low cloud simply because some drivers are incapable of adjusting their behaviour in poor weather/visibility conditions. 

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

I haven't seen anyone claiming it will be a panacea, but the point about speed limits is that they are comparatively easy to enforce, while it's a more difficult task to prove that someone was driving like a dickhead unless they actually end up in a field[1].

Of course a speed limit also needs the will to enforce it and that has been generally lacking in a lot of situations, perhaps because there are a lot of drivers (maybe some influential) who think they shouldn't apply to 'good' drivers like themselves.

[1]  I was going to add "Or in the morgue" but of course it may not be them who ends up there.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I haven't seen anyone claiming it will be a panacea, but the point about speed limits is that they are comparatively easy to enforce, while it's a more difficult task to prove that someone was driving like a dickhead unless they actually end up in a field[1].

Of course a speed limit also needs the will to enforce it and that has been generally lacking in a lot of situations, perhaps because there are a lot of drivers (maybe some influential) who think they shouldn't apply to 'good' drivers like themselves.

[1]  I was going to add "Or in the morgue" but of course it may not be them who ends up there.

You cannot legislate for idiots, but in attempting to stop the idiots you unnecessarily impact everyone else.

15 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

You cannot legislate for idiots, but in attempting to stop the idiots you unnecessarily impact everyone else.

Isn't this the case with most laws however?  Most of us know what is right or wrong and don't need it spelled out to us. 

Idiots, share several identifying traits: they are abundant (often moreso than people realise), they are irrational, and they cause problems for others without apparent benefit to themselves, thereby lowering society’s total well-being.  There's been studies into this, noting that the greatest threat to mankind is probably stupidity.

There are no defenses against stupidity. The only way a society can avoid being crushed by the burden of its idiots is if the non-stupid work even harder to offset the losses of the stupid.

Which brings us back to Covid and vaccines etc... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

TBH I try not to use the Mountain Road during winter months or when there's low cloud simply because some drivers are incapable of adjusting their behaviour in poor weather/visibility conditions. 

Whatever the weather, I prefer the mountain to the coast road. The mountain has only 3-4 junctions, compared with loads of drives, parked cars, winding turns and often equally poor visibility on the coast. Unless it’s closed, I go over the mountain every time. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I was speaking in general about the Mountain Road I would not consider using it on a day like this.

Yes am with you there . Always avoid if looks anything remotely dodgy. Had a good run and dont see the point of risking some idiot over onto the wrong side and taking me out. 

• Thanks 1