Mountain Watch

Mission

10 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

I know that some people think that speed limits are a panacea to road traffic collisions, however judging by the last few days on the Mountain road, no speed limit is ever going to deter the Darwin prize idiots who insist on overtaking and tailgating in the dark, rain, mist and thick fog as I have witnessed twice this weekend. Increased driver training/education, better and increased traffic policing and stiffer deterrent penalties for transgressors are more likely to work, but to be honest you will always get idiots. I just hope I do not meet them head on.

They should really be able to fine the people cutting about in thick fog with no lights on.

When you see how many bangers are over here too, you dread to think how they'd handle or stop in bad conditions. A couple of local garages like to post up the scary things they see on cars that come into them, from bald tyres to split brake lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

They should really be able to fine the people cutting about in thick fog with no lights on.

When you see how many bangers are over here too, you dread to think how they'd handle or stop in bad conditions. A couple of local garages like to post up the scary things they see on cars that come into them, from bald tyres to split brake lines.

IMG-20210331-WA0008.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I remember one bump I came across at Windy one morning on the way to work. Car going north had lost control in what were slippery conditions. It was amusing insofar as the driver was a painter and decorator and they and the inside of the car were now covered in Parisian Moonlight White. 

I was all for the vehicle, which was on its side just to be recovered and it being chalked up as a minor, until one of my collision investigators turned up and pointed out to me that the body wasn’t actually connected to the subframes. It was, to wit, ‘a shed’, which then made its way to the scrap heap via  a Test Centre stripdown. 

I re-call fifty years or so ago banging on about mechanics leaving tools in engine compartments to a chap whose car I was fixing. Shortly after when he drove of I very red faced, went and picked up a socket I had left in the engine compartment, hope he didn't hear it fall to the floor!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I re-call fifty years or so ago banging on about mechanics leaving tools in engine compartments to a chap whose car I was fixing. Shortly after when he drove of I very red faced, went and picked up a socket I had left in the engine compartment, hope he didn't hear it fall to the floor!

Not just surgeons then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, hissingsid said:

Heard the sirens on there way up the mountain road again about an hour ago.   Something has to be done I bet the fire brigade attends 20 crashes to every one fire on the Island.

In England, the number of house fires has nearly halved in the last 20 years. The number of cars licensed on the other hand has been increasing across the UK.

Assuming therefore that the risk of house fires is lower, which with safer electrical supplies for starters, is perfectly plausible, then you'd expect them to be attending fewer house fires than before.

Or, maybe cars prevent house fires, depending on how you decide to interpret the data. :D

image.thumb.png.f45a5aee8e757d070897c37029579595.png

Number of cars in the UK 2000-2016 | Statista

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20211126-131811_Chrome.jpg

What a load of nanny state nonsense.

I would rather head over the mountain or the Sloc in a storm than take the alternative routes which are lined by massive old trees which will be dropping debris all over the road or even coming down completely 

• Like 4