Mountain Watch

Mission

5 minutes ago, Bandits said:

More TT traffic bellends. None fined though unlike the much abused “local drivers” who seem to be constantly victimized by our third rate local plod.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/several-cyclists-stopped-by-police-on-mountain-road-in-last-few-days/

Yeah I hate it when people break the law and get caught. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bandits said:

More TT traffic bellends. None fined though unlike the much abused “local drivers” who seem to be constantly victimized by our third rate local plod.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/several-cyclists-stopped-by-police-on-mountain-road-in-last-few-days/

They're cyclists what do you expect? The police let off cyclists all the time. 

9 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

What way is that?

How should they treat someone who rides on a road that is normally rideable by that has a temporary restriction on it that the cyclist can quite probably claim to not be aware of?

If I ride up through Glen Auldyn, via the gooseneck or up the back of Windy Corner is there any signage to tell me I can’t join the mountain road like I normally do?

I know you’re obviously trolling but it’s obvious. What’s more dangerous? A cyclist on a restricted road that they are banned from that’s one way with bikes doing 100mph plus on it which could potentially kill them, or someone doing 52mph in a 50 zone? Yet one gets fined and publicly pilloried by the police and the other doesn’t. 

Edited by Bandits

27 minutes ago, Bandits said:

But the cyclists have broken the law and not been treated in the same way that others have been treated when breaking the law. 

Police don't prosecute cyclists. It's an unwritten rule. Half of them are lycra louts themselves anyway. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

At the risk of continuing the pedantry, I use the rule of thumb that "less than" is used for things measured in amounts, and "fewer than" for things measured in numbers.

So, for example, an ounce of cheese is less than a pound of cheese, but two slices of bread are fewer than four slices.

But it doesn't really matter as using less when you should be using fewer is unlikely to lead to confusion and people will still know what you mean...

(What does make a difference - particularly when you are reading something - is people mixing up their/there/they're and were/we're/where.  That can be really confusing)

You've forgotten the manx one: of & have.

I've only ever come across that here on the Island.

5 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Sounds like you should become a cyclist and enjoy their lifestyle and crime avoiding status. 

Not really I have enough to do with my time already without wasting hours going back in time 80 years just to get from A to B. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

You've forgotten the manx one: of & have.

I've only ever come across that here on the Island.

What!?!?!?!?

The substitution of "of" for "have" (or I think people are more likely to be using it as a substitute for " 've" rather than "have" ) is so widespead in the UK that it's as common as having had Covid.

You've obviously been living on the IoM too long otherwise you would of realised your error...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Police don't prosecute cyclists. It's an unwritten rule. Half of them are lycra louts themselves anyway. 

What would they do?  

Give them points on their licences? 

Interestingly speed limits would not apply.  They are only for motorised vehicles.