Mountain Watch

Mission

10 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

It’s been pretty well cleared up now.

There is still a joke on the wall but the rubble has gone, as has the car that was on the drive that had its window smashed.

Good effort in a 30

It’s not really that surprising given the weight of a modern car, it’s a 1.5+ tonne mass hitting a stone wall, but the accident itself is an odd one, given it’s a steep uphill section you’d the expect brakes to work quite efficiently.

17 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'll try and get a pic of the outcome if the data limit will let me upload 

As above. Two car RTI at the Bungalow this morning too, Police attended to control traffic.

20220629_144022.jpg

• 6 months later...

To the guy or gal in the van who left Ramsey around 6.45 this morning and drove between 10 and 19 miles per hour all the way over the mountain, please have some consideration for other road users and pull over to let the long long queue of cars past. Whilst it was foggy, it certainly wasnt pea soup. You are clearly not confident in difficult conditions, and your lack of thought for other road users could potentialy cause an accident given the levels of frustration some drivers must have felt.

Its just about being thoughtful and having rerspect for other road users, and by that same token I'll refrain from mentioning the company.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, Weliveinhope said:

To the guy or gal in the van who left Ramsey around 6.45 this morning and drove between 10 and 19 miles per hour all the way over the mountain, please have some consideration for other road users and pull over to let the long long queue of cars past. Whilst it was foggy, it certainly wasnt pea soup. You are clearly not confident in difficult conditions, and your lack of thought for other road users could potentialy cause an accident given the levels of frustration some drivers must have felt.

Its just about being thoughtful and having rerspect for other road users, and by that same token I'll refrain from mentioning the company.

Thanks

If this person felt it wasn't suitable conditions for speeding then who are you to call them out. You're the type of person that causes accidents

Edited by Passing Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

If this person felt it wasn't suitable conditions for speeding then who are you to call them out. You'r the type of person that causes accidents

Speeding? I'm not sure where I suggested that they speed. Funny how these conversations go, everyones a maniac speed freak if they have an issue with a driver who (in all liklihood) is not confident on the road in those conditions. Perhaps use the coast road, but I just requested some thought and respect. Can you quantify how 'I'm the sort of person that causes accidents?' 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Speeding? I'm not sure where I suggested that they speed. Funny how these conversations go, everyones a maniac speed freak if they have an issue with a driver who (in all liklihood) is not confident on the road in those conditions. Perhaps use the coast road, but I just requested some thought and respect. Can you quantify how 'I'm the sort of person that causes accidents?' 

Re read your post especially the bit about the conditions...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Re read your post especially the bit about the conditions...

Thank you, I dont need to as your reply is still inaccurate. The problem being is that I suggested the driver should have been considerate to other road users as they were (in my opinion of course) unable to handle the conditions, despite (in my opinion once again) those conditions not being condusive to a journey being conducted between 10 and 19 mph. I cannot see where I suggest that they speed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Thank you, I dont need to as your reply is still inaccurate. The problem being is that I suggested the driver should have been considerate to other road users as they were (in my opinion of course) unable to handle the conditions, despite (in my opinion once again) those conditions not being condusive to a journey being conducted between 10 and 19 mph. I cannot see where I suggest that they speed. 

What was the visibility, roughly, in metres?

6 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

The problem being is that I suggested the driver should have been considerate to other road users as they were (in my opinion of course) unable to handle the conditions, despite (in my opinion once again) those conditions not being condusive to a journey being conducted between 10 and 19 mph

What do you estimate your increased journey time was?

• Thanks 1

Driving in fog is easy if you're following, no so much if you're at the head of the queue with zero visibility, the possibility of icy patches or standing water, and oncoming dazzles.

Probably delay you by about 10-15 minutes, tops. Surely better that, than having a crash with the whole road being closed afterwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The extra time is not the issue for me, its the lack of thought, both for themselves and other road users. I would never advocate somebody driving dangerously, but given the excessively slow speeds one can make an assumption that the driver had no confidence in themself being able to handle the conditions, which in itself could be considered dangerous.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

The extra time is not the issue for me, its the lack of thought, both for themselves and other road users. I would never advocate somebody driving dangerously, but given the excessively slow speeds one can make an assumption that the driver had no confidence in themself being able to handle the conditions, which in itself could be considered dangerous.

How fast do you think they should have been going? What was a safe speed?

20 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

its the lack of thought, both for themselves and other road users.

That works both ways. If you thought that you could drive safely at a higher speed, then the visibility range would have been such that you would have thought it safe to overtake. If you did not think it safe to overtake your speed would have been little different.