Mountain Watch

Mission

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the way things are going there will be a permanent police and rescue service stationed at the Bungalow ,  only thing to stop this madness on the mountain road is hefty fines  and driving bans , either drive  sensibly or suffer major consequences ,

Or, Shock Horror, a National Speed Limit of 60mph...........................

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Or, Shock Horror, a National Speed Limit of 60mph...........................

Would need to introduce speed cameras then, as there aren’t the bodies or political will/backbone to enforce the speed limits we have. Even on de restricted roads, vans, wagons, L and R platers show scant regard for the limits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Would need to introduce speed cameras then, as there aren’t the bodies or political will/backbone to enforce the speed limits we have. Even on de restricted roads, vans, wagons, L and R platers show scant regard for the limits.

Don't need the speed limit just hit the lunatics hard in the pocket  and let them use the bus for 12 months  and retake driving test   ,! why should everyone else who   drives within  their capability have to suffer , 

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

the way things are going there will be a permanent police and rescue service stationed at the Bungalow

They can be accompanied by DOI engineers who will now have to resurrect the tram warning lights pole that somebody's demolished on the Laxey side of the crossing too; snapped clean in two.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They can be accompanied by DOI engineers who will now have to resurrect the tram warning lights pole that somebody's demolished on the Laxey side of the crossing too; snapped clean in two.

surely that can be replaced when the road is closed for the TT work  I drove out past Glen Duff  on Thursday what a mess the road surface in between there and Ramsey ,not fit for normal vehicles never mind high speed motorcycle racing , 

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:28 PM, Blade Runner said:

ETA. TVOR should not take the above as a way of removing cyclists from the roads BTW 

Why not?

Anyway I was driving over the mountain shortly after lunchtime on Wednesday, I think it was. It was foggy in places. In one such place I came behind a slow moving police car.

Sure enough in front of him was a cyclist dressed totally in black ( except for a white helmet).When the road was clear the cyclist beckoned with his hand for the police car to overtake him.

Happily for me it was at this point the police car put his flashing lights on and pulled him over.

I was grinning all the way to Douglas!

( True story before anyone accuses me of making it up)

I’ve been watching the Island’s close every road at the slightest sighting of a snow flurry policy, and comparing with what happens here.

Last week everything was gritted and salted, and plowed if required, with demountable equipment attached to the local authority 4x4 pick ups.

Today on the road up to the French border at Puigcerda/Bourg Madame the police are standing by to assist if anyone gets stuck.

Im not saying it’s better. Just that there are different ways of tackling the problem.

C543EB6D-1013-41F1-BBA3-F673E53A98E6.jpeg

18 hours ago, Omobono said:

Don't need the speed limit just hit the lunatics hard in the pocket  and let them use the bus for 12 months  and retake driving test   ,! why should everyone else who   drives within  their capability have to suffer , 

Whilst I agree that is the preferred option, I can’t see us ever having (as already stated) the police numbers/budget, and political gumption to do it. As usual, the vast majority of law abiding motorists will have all the fun taken out of motoring due to the actions of a few d*******s😡

Well I didn't realise Ronnie Pickering had moved to the Island but apparently he (or his twin brother?) has and I upset him on this evenings commute home on the ballanard/johhny watersons roundabout when he dithered for a couple of milliseconds too long for my impatient liking.. and it was highly entertaining listening to him beep me repeatedly and race up behind me and sit on my towbar! Then when my foot accidently slipped sharply onto the brake pedal his bitter tactics turned to high beaming me all the way back to the tholty turning at the bungalow 🤣 he did provide me with a good chuckle ! 

• 1 month later...

I saw this gent myself (unless he's got very similar siblings on the same day), just the top side of Guthrie's, those who brought it to the Plod's attention were doing him a favour before he got wiped out. Thick, swirling mist and a rear light with the candle power of a glow-worm's armpit. You couldn't see him until you were nearly on top of him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I saw this gent myself (unless he's got very similar siblings on the same day), just the top side of Guthrie's, those who brought it to the Plod's attention were doing him a favour before he got wiped out. Thick, swirling mist and a rear light with the candle power of a glow-worm's armpit. You couldn't see him until you were nearly on top of him.

Darwinism in action.