Mountain Watch

Mission

36 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Old dodderer 1 to old dodderer 2: How can someone as old as you be so stupid?

Old dodderer 2 to old dodderer 1: How can someone as stupid as you get to be so old?

Old dodderer 1 took the wrong meds today again but still think they can drive as long as they stay in second gear, old dodderer 2 just pulled out without looking nearly wiping out a young family, but how very dare they come acorss a cyclist that they nearly hit because they have shit eyesight.

Edited by HiVibes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:03 AM, The Phantom said:

Agreed.  Idiot.  I like a good ride across the mountain, but only do it a couple of times a year when conditions are perfect.  Heading up there in the fog especially, isn't only a massive danger to yourself but the other road users too. 

Agree why are some cyclista just total knobs? He even refused to put his bike in the police van in favour of him trying to get clobbered again for being such a tool. 

• Like 2

It appears that the law is just as much of a pillock as the lycra lout - 

"Surprisingly bikes are on of the only vehicles that don’t have to have lights fitted in low level light conditions. This means that no matter how dark it gets, technically you only need your lights switched on from sunset to sunrise. Though the time requirement is judged from when the sun drops beyond the horizon, it’s advisable to have the lights fitted at all times so you can turn them on if you get caught out in some fog or heavy rain."

"the Highway Code. Rule 60 states: “At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.”"

The plonker that I (just) saw ahead of me in the fog this morning had a barely visible flashing rear light, no reflectors anywhere, and his clothing was not hi-viz.

Quotes are from a biking supply company in the UK. https://blog.cyclestore.co.uk/u-k-bike-light-laws-are-you-cycling-correctly/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

The plonker that I (just) saw ahead of me in the fog this morning had a barely visible flashing rear light, no reflectors anywhere, and his clothing was not hi-viz.

Perhaps you should stay off the roads if your eysight and awareness is so poor, perhaps you are the 'plonker'?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Perhaps you should stay off the roads if your eysight and awareness is so poor, perhaps you are the 'plonker'?

If cyclists in general agree with your view of most drivers, why would they choose to play “Russian Roulette” on the mountain road by being invisible in the fog?   Why would they not take steps to have the correct lights for the conditions, switched on - and some hi-viz clothing?   If they are so convinced that any car behind them is driven by a blind old dodderer, why not take steps to be visible and protect themselves?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

If cyclists in general agree with your view of most drivers, why would they choose to play “Russian Roulette” on the mountain road by being invisible in the fog?   Why would they not take steps to have the correct lights for the conditions, switched on - and some hi-viz clothing?   If they are so convinced that any car behind them is driven by a blind old dodderer, why not take steps to be visible and protect themselves?

It is the responsibility of all road users to be aware of the conditions and hazards and drive to them. Doing simple things like respecting halt signs, keeping an eye on the road ahead and adjusting stopping distance accordingly would ensure people don't get themselves into the situation that they nearly hit a cyclist, I have probably had more near misses and my one direct hit when wearing hi-viz, it really does not help with the dozy fucktards behind the wheel.

Edited by HiVibes
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

It is the responsibility of all road users to be aware of the conditions and hazards and drive to them. Doing simple things like respecting halt signs, keeping an eye on the road ahead and adjusting stopping distance accordingly would ensure people don't get themselves into the situation that they nearly hit a cyclist,

Nothing I wrote disagrees or goes against this.   But don’t you believe that cyclists would be well advised to be as visible as possible, if car drivers are so poor?

Just now, Jarndyce said:

Nothing I wrote disagrees or goes against this.   But don’t you believe that cyclists would be well advised to be as visible as possible, if car drivers are so poor?

But as I said, it does not help, the right solution is for the police to actually address the poor standard of driving and crush a few cars.

Anyone getting behind a wheel of a car should know that if they fail to drive safely then they will be prosecuted and lose their license, equally reduced competency drivers like old people should have yearly testing at the very least. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

the dozy fucktards being the wheel.

You don't just need to be a wheel to be a dozy fucktard. 

I have cycled myself, and there is nothing like the adage "see and be seen". This is particularly important for cyclists, who are, to say the least, vulnerable, no matter who is driving a motor vehicle in their vicinity.

And in relation to fucktards, it takes one to know one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

It is the responsibility of all road users to be aware of the conditions and hazards and drive to them. Doing simple things like respecting halt signs, keeping an eye on the road ahead and adjusting stopping distance accordingly would ensure people don't get themselves into the situation that they nearly hit a cyclist, I have probably had more near misses and my one direct hit when wearing hi-viz, it really does not help with the dozy fucktards behind the wheel.

‘Halt signs’???

3 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I have cycled myself, and there is nothing like the adage "see and be seen".

Well done, want a badge? Wearing Hi-Viz does not stop accidents, so it is not the answer, taking old people of the road would help you would have to agree.

• Sad 1