Mountain Watch

Mission

30 minutes ago, Satan666 said:

That’s very true. The amount of cars today with just their front running lights on was just ridiculous. As most modern cars have auto headlights, so many drivers seem to forget that these are not automatically activated in fog so we end up with minimal front lights and sweet FA at the rear. The police should definitely make it a priority to be pulling people over next time to remind people that they often can’t be seen.

Surely this can be easily solved by making all drivers paint their cars in dayglo colours? 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I always say. How many car, van, lorry drivers have been killed by cyclists?

Bit of a silly metric though isn't it? Because that's not due to the type of person who cycles (indeed most of them will also drive a car/van/lorry), but the weight of the vehicle.

30 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Sadly Gizo, plod won't even bother to investigate near collisions with cars and cyclists. It'll take some poor sod being killed before they give five minutes of their time. Fuckers the lot of them

And when someone was killed a few backhanders here snd there snd you get let off. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Sadly Gizo, plod won't even bother to investigate near collisions with cars and cyclists. It'll take some poor sod being killed before they give five minutes of their time. Fuckers the lot of them

But they tried to stop some poor sod from getting killed and he got in some sort of strange huff about putting himself in extreme danger. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Surely this can be easily solved by making all drivers paint their cars in dayglo colours? 

Now there’s a good DOI engineering solution!🤣

5 hours ago, monasqueen said:

It appears that the law is just as much of a pillock as the lycra lout - 

"Surprisingly bikes are on of the only vehicles that don’t have to have lights fitted in low level light conditions. This means that no matter how dark it gets, technically you only need your lights switched on from sunset to sunrise. Though the time requirement is judged from when the sun drops beyond the horizon, it’s advisable to have the lights fitted at all times so you can turn them on if you get caught out in some fog or heavy rain."

"the Highway Code. Rule 60 states: “At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.”"

The plonker that I (just) saw ahead of me in the fog this morning had a barely visible flashing rear light, no reflectors anywhere, and his clothing was not hi-viz.

Quotes are from a biking supply company in the UK. https://blog.cyclestore.co.uk/u-k-bike-light-laws-are-you-cycling-correctly/

Personally I go for rear flashing light on the bike and static light on the back of my helmet or backpack (not on the mountain in fog).

Flashing is obviously good to alert, but I've heard that they are not great at allowing you to judge distance.

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I was thinking, maybe its actually more dangerous to be cycling up there in clear conditions, owing to the fact that people will then be driving like twats at 100mph. 'Pushing on'. At least in the fog they're probably going pretty slow.

I'd say the problem is overtaking the bike in fog as you never know what is coming the other way. Clear conditions not so much of a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

I’ve cycled from Ramsey over the mountain 4 times only. Twice in lockdown which was fckn amazing, I was the only one up there. It was incredible. It’s such a great climb. Twice I did it on open roads, I was shit scared. It shouldn’t be like that however there’s knobheads everywhere. I won’t be going up there anytime soon. 

A couple of years ago there was a Sportive where they closed the TT course (in stages for an hour or so at each sector). That was amazing, absolutely hooning it along in the peloton. 

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'd say the problem is overtaking the bike in fog as you never know what is coming the other way. Clear conditions not so much of a problem.

Yeah, I wasn't being entirely serious. I've driven the mountain in thick fog, I won't ever do it again. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, finlo said:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs anyone who goes cycling up there has some kind of morbid death wish!

Yes agree if the police pulled me over and said look mate your being a right dick, we’ve had 5 calls already from people who have nearly wiped you out in heavy fog on a fast road I’d definitely put my bike in their van and get a lift home. He sounds like a right prick.

Edited by SuperHans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ian rush said:

It was stupid to be up there but all the complaints must have at least a part of not expecting the unexpected or driving off the rear lights of the car in front or having a stopping distance further than seeing distance.

Perhaps the government could make cardboard cutouts of people and dot them over that section to train the dumb motorists to actually pay attention. They could be of the fallen TT riders kind of make it an attraction...

• Haha 1