Mountain Watch

Mission

11 hours ago, SuperHans said:

But they tried to stop some poor sod from getting killed and he got in some sort of strange huff about putting himself in extreme danger. 

he knew the risks and died doing something he loved...

Be interesting to hear Jeremy Vines take on this

“Sadiq Khan’s “death trap” bike lane zebra crossings see just one in 10 cyclists stop to let pedestrians pass, The Telegraph can reveal.

The Mayor of London has overseen a proliferation of Amsterdam-style floating bus stops, where busy cycle lanes are wedged between the pavement and a bus stop island, with a zebra crossing bridging the two.

This is despite Mr Khan and Transport for London (TfL) being repeatedly warnedthat the majority of cyclists refuse to stop or slow down at crossings.

In the most extensive analysis since more such stops were introduced after the pandemic, The Telegraph surveyed the behaviour of 397 cyclists while pedestrians were waiting at three crossings in central London. Just 33, or eight per cent, of cyclists gave way as the Highway Code requires.

Now, campaigners have called on the mayor to rip out the schemes to prevent pedestrians having to “run the gauntlet” on the “terrifying” crossings where some cyclists are so “pumped up on adrenaline” that they hurtle by on their commute.

The survey has renewed calls from families, whose loved ones have been killed after being hit by a cyclist, to update laws so cyclists who kill or injure can be prosecuted for dangerous or reckless riding. 

In total 91.7 per cent of cyclists, or 364, failed to stop and 8.3 per cent, or 33, stopped, in cases involving a total of 189 pedestrians.

Rule 19 of the Highway Code says “drivers and riders should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross and MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing” and should “be patient”, as well as looking for those on foot approaching the crossing.

But at every location surveyed, the vast majority of cyclists refused to stop, there were multiple near-misses and some collisions caused by bikers edging through even when pedestrians were in the middle of the crossing.”

Do speed limits have some sort of reverse psychological effect? I’m noticing that when a speed limit is put in place drivers seem to be acting with some defiance, some of my recent findings :

20mph along Ramsey Quay, I used to be able to drive along/reverse park without feeling rushed/harassed but since the introduction of the 20mph speed limit I’ll typically have 3 or 4 cars push me along and when you indicate left to park they’ll overtake sometimes at speed rather than allowing you time/space to park, I never felt speed was particularly an issue here, I typically did 25mph when it was a 30mph and never encountered any issues.

Ramsey swing bridge, it’s a 5mph that is widely ignored by vast majority of people, I think a sensible speed would be somewhere between 10-15mph, most people are doing I’d say closer to 20-25mph and seem quite happy to risk their licence.

40mph temp limit stretching from Union Mills to Kirk Michael, currently being overtaken by I’d say by at least 4-5 cars every trip, overall feeling of being tailgated/harassed this is doing an indicated 45mph on speedo which is roughly 40/41 on GPS/actual speed. Normally I’m stuck behind 40mph drivers and overtaking them when it’s safe to do so and yet other than one learner doing 35mph I’ve not been stuck behind anyone since it’s introduction.

It’s getting to the stage now that I’ve yet to see a police officer speed checking in any of these locations and it feels like if you can’t beat them you might aswell join them type scenario.

So why do they introduce new speed limits when they don’t follow them up with regular speed checks? What sort of message does it send out? What happened to the speed checking van that was on loan/test?

23 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It’s getting to the stage now that I’ve yet to see a police officer speed checking in any of these locations and it feels like if you can’t beat them you might as well join them type scenario.

You won't see plod as they are too busy detecting faint whiffs of spliff from moving cars...

On 3/19/2023 at 2:14 PM, Annoymouse said:

So why do they introduce new speed limits when they don’t follow them up with regular speed checks? What sort of message does it send out? What happened to the speed checking van that was on loan/test?

The old 'to be seen to be doing something'. After that fatality on the Mountain course roadworks some years ago, they tend to shut it completely to avoid the risk. The same with other parts of the course. It'll have been 'risk assessed' and as the guys are painting kerbs and the like, reducing speed limits (or imposing one) is seen as a 'mitigation'. 

That way if anything happens they can say "well we tried". 

The private sector that work on the course seem to be more inclined towards 'I'll park my truck/van with hazards on the pavement and work 200 yards ahead of it. We don't need no effing signs"

On 3/19/2023 at 2:14 PM, Annoymouse said:

Do speed limits have some sort of reverse psychological effect? I’m noticing that when a speed limit is put in place drivers seem to be acting with some defiance, some of my recent findings :

20mph along Ramsey Quay, I used to be able to drive along/reverse park without feeling rushed/harassed but since the introduction of the 20mph speed limit I’ll typically have 3 or 4 cars push me along and when you indicate left to park they’ll overtake sometimes at speed rather than allowing you time/space to park, I never felt speed was particularly an issue here, I typically did 25mph when it was a 30mph and never encountered any issues.

Ramsey swing bridge, it’s a 5mph that is widely ignored by vast majority of people, I think a sensible speed would be somewhere between 10-15mph, most people are doing I’d say closer to 20-25mph and seem quite happy to risk their licence.

40mph temp limit stretching from Union Mills to Kirk Michael, currently being overtaken by I’d say by at least 4-5 cars every trip, overall feeling of being tailgated/harassed this is doing an indicated 45mph on speedo which is roughly 40/41 on GPS/actual speed. Normally I’m stuck behind 40mph drivers and overtaking them when it’s safe to do so and yet other than one learner doing 35mph I’ve not been stuck behind anyone since it’s introduction.

It’s getting to the stage now that I’ve yet to see a police officer speed checking in any of these locations and it feels like if you can’t beat them you might aswell join them type scenario.

You are getting old mate. 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Stretching the engine, getting the toe down. There was a debate on these boards a couple of years ago where some tried to deny that there were anything like this number of incidents. Hopefully these figures lay that to rest. I see somebody has been through the dry stone wall just above Kate's Cottage now too.