Mountain Watch

Mission

2 hours ago, newaccount said:

£1,725,380.69.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-1-million-spent-dealing-with-mountain-road-crashes/

127 collisions resulting in personal injury in five years

More than £1 million has been spent dealing with collisions on the Mountain Road over the last five years.

The Department of Infrastructure has confirmed there were 127 collisions, resulting in personal injury, between 1 October 2018 and 30 September 2023.

They happened on the Mountain Road between The Hairpin and Johnny Watterson’s Lane.

Seventy-seven were categorised as slight in severity, 45 as serious and five as fatal.

Information released as part of a Freedom of Information response says the estimated costs of handling the collisions was £1,725,380.69.

The DoI says it does not record any vehicle collisions that result in damage only.

Discussed last week (that includes the FoI answer), though the figure for costs is almost completely meaningless as it's taken from UK estimates and they've just multiplied things up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Never had the landslip nonsense till they took the drainage gully's away. (filled them in) no doubt because one of the DOI  engineers deemed them unsafe. Sorry the CAD system he was fucking around with set off all kinds of warning buzzers and Klaxons when he entered it into the mix. Must of missed the bit where they had to go up every day and clear the smouldering wreckage and bodies off the road after the crash's caused by the said gullies.  😬

7 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Never had the landslip nonsense till they took the drainage gully's away. (filled them in) no doubt because one of the DOI  engineers deemed them unsafe. Sorry the CAD system he was fucking around with set off all kinds of warning buzzers and Klaxons when he entered it into the mix. Must of missed the bit where they had to go up every day and clear the smouldering wreckage and bodies off the road after the crash's caused by the said gullies.  😬

Where were these gullies please?  I know nothing about them.

Thanks

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Where were these gullies please?  I know nothing about them.

Thanks

I think he may be referring to the infilling of the roadside gulleys (along the Mountain Mile, for instance) with the distinctive Stoney Mountain-sourced yellow aggregate. I've noticed that in some places in recent years that the tendency has now been to remove this in many places in favour of shallow, cement-lined channels, "mini-levees", in order to improve water flow down particularly affected areas, such as the climb out of the Gooseneck.

If my memory serves me, it was felt that deeper roadside ditches of the time represented a road hazard so they were infilled with said aggregate. Concern was raised in Tynwald too about the loose aggregate finding its way onto the road surface but was discounted. However, if you infill a ditch with aggregate it is bound to impede and restrict the water flow which is aimed at getting the water away from the road structure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I think he may be referring to the infilling of the roadside gulleys (along the Mountain Mile, for instance) with the distinctive Stoney Mountain-sourced yellow aggregate. I've noticed that in some places in recent years that the tendency has now been to remove this in many places in favour of shallow, cement-lined channels, "mini-levees", in order to improve water flow down particularly affected areas, such as the climb out of the Gooseneck.

If my memory serves me, it was felt that deeper roadside ditches of the time represented a road hazard so they were infilled with said aggregate. Concern was raised in Tynwald too about the loose aggregate finding its way onto the road surface but was discounted. However, if you infill a ditch with aggregate it is bound to impede and restrict the water flow which is aimed at getting the water away from the road structure.

the land gets wet uphill from the now missing ditches so they don't contribute to the land sliding down on to the road, now if the road has slid down the valley that would be another matter.

• Like 1