Mountain Watch

Mission

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I think he may be referring to the infilling of the roadside gulleys (along the Mountain Mile, for instance) with the distinctive Stoney Mountain-sourced yellow aggregate. I've noticed that in some places in recent years that the tendency has now been to remove this in many places in favour of shallow, cement-lined channels, "mini-levees", in order to improve water flow down particularly affected areas, such as the climb out of the Gooseneck.

If my memory serves me, it was felt that deeper roadside ditches of the time represented a road hazard so they were infilled with said aggregate. Concern was raised in Tynwald too about the loose aggregate finding its way onto the road surface but was discounted. However, if you infill a ditch with aggregate it is bound to impede and restrict the water flow which is aimed at getting the water away from the road structure.

Depends on the coarseness of the aggregate I would have thought.  French drains work on a similar basis. 

It reminds me of the tyre barriers up on the Jurby track to be honest.  They had a habit of falling over so some bright spark at Govt at the time (probably 25 years ago at least now) filled them full of dirt.  Creating completely solid walls to crash into.  

I think you may find the gullies were draining the water from hillside above the road so as to make it more stable instead of leaving it sodden and prone to slip. Also doing the same for the bank on the lower side by removing water and preventing it becoming sodden. And in doing it on both sides of the paved highway also made for a more stable base for the road to sit upon. But not being an engineer and common sense not being a commodity that the DOI posses a modicum of who am I to preach.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 5:15 PM, Dirty Buggane said:

I think you may find the gullies were draining the water from hillside above the road so as to make it more stable instead of leaving it sodden and prone to slip. Also doing the same for the bank on the lower side by removing water and preventing it becoming sodden. And in doing it on both sides of the paved highway also made for a more stable base for the road to sit upon. But not being an engineer and common sense not being a commodity that the DOI posses a modicum of who am I to preach.  

Do they still clean the roadside gullies?

9 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Do they still clean the roadside gullies?

there are culverts under the road on the mountain which I doubt have  been cleaned for years , where drainage is concerned preventative maintanence  is always preferable to trying to catch up after a flood and erosion cased by torrents of rainwater 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Seems almost fixed. Same spot as before? 

dji_fly_20231229_32704 pm_782_1703863684326_photo_optimized.jpeg

dji_fly_20231229_32552 pm_779_1703863605912_photo_optimized.jpeg

I looked at this which is at the Waterworks, the same spot as the Pre TT landslip this year. I can't see much difference except for the construction of a new wall which has sprung up, also confirmed by the presence of the tote bags and building materials behind it. I'll walk up there tomorrow for a skeet.

There’s around 800 blocks in that wall currently at a rough count so they haven’t done that today lol. Taken a few days and will take another few to bring up the outer wall to the same height. Around 52 m length and  1.4m high . Just the sort of job some lucky gang of brickies will love ! 

Edited by Numbnuts

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

If it’s that site again, then why wasn’t it sorted properly before this happened?

I’d have a guess down to cost. Cost loads for that many blocks and laying them . Especially in holiday time. The bricky gang must have been offered a great deal to lay them at such short notice. Looks like there’s going to be a cavity between the courses so guessing they will fill with concrete . That in itself is a dodgy practice as you can push out the new block work. Concrete is heavy ! . 

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I’d have a guess down to cost. Cost loads for that many blocks and laying them . Especially in holiday time. The bricky gang must have been offered a great deal to lay them at such short notice. Looks like there’s going to be a cavity between the courses so guessing they will fill with concrete . That in itself is a dodgy practice as you can push out the new block work. Concrete is heavy ! . 

Exactly.  The road has been closed for various works over the last few months, so instead of scheduling it then they wait until it’s an emergency and have to pay everyone his knows how much to come in during their Christmas break.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There’s around 800 blocks in that wall currently at a rough count so they haven’t done that today lol. Taken a few days and will take another few to bring up the outer wall to the same height. Around 52 m length and  1.4m high . Just the sort of job some lucky gang of brickies will love ! 

It was stated last May that the repair was just enough to allow the races to happen and that further work would be needed. There doesn't seem to be much sign of further landslip though the wall is definitely new though, I'm on that road at least once a day and they just had air fencing and cones during the races and the summer. Are we sure that the landslip wasn't further up the mountain though? 🤔

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit