Mountain Watch

Mission

10 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I never said it wouldn't be clad in stone, in fact I went as far as to mention that the bell ties in the picture look as if that was the intention - and also went on to suggest it was typical of government to pay someone to take away and dispose of some stone before buying some similar stone to use on the same site.

As others have said though, it will not significantly add to the strength of the wall in the case of another landslide like the last two we've seen there. I'm sure it will look very nice when it's finished (it looked pretty rustic before they even put the stone on 🙂). It'll may also stop the odd falling stone and such landing on the road - one thing it won't do though is retain very much for very long.

The stone was cleaned by myself.  It came from the slip, so no buying new stone,  all from the site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turtleish said:

The stone was cleaned by myself.  It came from the slip, so no buying new stone,  all from the site. 

More pesky facts giving the moaning know it alls nothing to moan about.

Looks like a great job done in what was according to some experts in here an impossible timeframe.

Well done to all involved for putting the hours in especially at the times when they were due to be off work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

And…..closed again.

It’s a bit cold out ffs.  Just let people who want to drive to the conditions do so, and let the other idiots crash it stay at home.

Do we just close the road for the rest of the winter because people are stupid, and close it more and more each year going forward?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

It is icy and dangerous if it had not been closed by the police there would have probably been a RTA within the hour or sooner.  Seriously, what is wrong with you ?

I came over there very shortly before it closed, they weren’t letting people out of Ramsey as we dropped in.

It was fine, a bit slippery but as long as you didn’t stamp on the accelerator or brake, or tug at the steering it was fine.

I was passenger and the wife was driving and I wasn’t bothered once, and that’s saying something.

It’s Nanny state bollocks and assuming everyone is clueless behind the wheel.

Drive to the conditions and it’s fine.  There is no way it would have been closed tonight ten years ago and I can’t say I remember loads of crashes?

Edited by CrazyDave

12 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

And…..closed again.

It’s a bit cold out ffs.  Just let people who want to drive to the conditions do so, and let the other idiots crash it stay at home.

Do we just close the road for the rest of the winter because people are stupid, and close it more and more each year going forward?

Worried about someone going off in the ice down that hill through their new shiny wall

4 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I came over there very shortly before it closed, they weren’t letting people out of Ramsey as we dropped in.

It was fine, a bit slippery but as long as you didn’t stamp on the accelerator or brake, or tug at the steering it was fine.

I was passenger and the wife was driving and I wasn’t bothered once, and that’s saying something.

Drive to the conditions and it’s fine.  There is no way it would have been closed tonight ten years ago and I can’t say I remember loads of crashes?

Stop proving what everyone thinks with your constant stupid posts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It's an inconvenience to many but it's probably cost related too.

Fangio goes off the road on the ice and that promptly invokes the emergency services to attend, police, fire, ambulance, stiff cart, recovery services, whatever, all at the taxpayer's expense. Just closing the road is the cheaper option.

• Like 2

It’s because the bastard squad want to control everything on this island. They’re even telling you what tv programs you should watch whilst they enforce you in your home. 

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

I bizarrely find myself agreeing with Crazy D on this occasion 

But he/ it’s like a clock that’s broken which will be right once in a day. (Twice if you take into account the 24 hour European clock nonsense)

To sound like the grumpy old man I am, the mountain road never used to be closed at the merest puff of wind or a drop of rain falling.

Never mind CD’s ten years I can go back forty when auto technology was far less advanced to cope with such situations but miraculously you could travel across the Mountain Road in such conditions as we have recently witnessed , without incident.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1