Mountain Watch

Mission

What is the average age of the marshalls? My attention was drawn to this by three that I saw together. They looked so decrepit that they were leaning on each other to stand up. So I started looking at others. Not many young ones. They need to address this otherwise the marshall group will literally die.

it's always been an older person type thing to do woolley, like staying on to pick the rubbish up and sweep the floor after a childrens party in the parish hall. there are a few young ones doing it, takes a certain type, figuratively they are already dead

thanks chaps why didn't you say hello? As I said to Mrs paswt " grab it quick girl , these looks won't last for ever".

That said you are not wrong woolley and perhaps the powers that be could do more to encourage the younger folk to marshal and perhaps show the existing older marshals that they are valued and respond to their reservations/ suggestions.

Quite a few marshalling points are far from "mob handed"

Maybe I'm cynical but it seems quite obvious that the police have a policy of closing the road at every opportunity. The story about having to because of H&S and their officers at risk is nonsense. They must be confusing themselves with marshalls who do have the unenviable task of going into the road protected by just a yellow flag, which seems to indicate to a lot of riders a 5mph reduction in speed. Not all road users are sensible but I would be amazed if anybody totally ignored blue flashing lights up ahead.

Think it may be based on a H&S risk analysis ...... to ensure no police man gets run down ensure nobody on the road , they then can carry out investigations involving measurements etc in order to determine the cause of the RTA.

Just sayingflowers.gif

• Like 4

Maybe I'm cynical but it seems quite obvious that the police have a policy of closing the road at every opportunity. The story about having to because of H&S and their officers at risk is nonsense. They must be confusing themselves with marshalls who do have the unenviable task of going into the road protected by just a yellow flag, which seems to indicate to a lot of riders a 5mph reduction in speed. Not all road users are sensible but I would be amazed if anybody totally ignored blue flashing lights up ahead.

Really? why else would they close roads. What possible motive is there?

Marshals have their flags, however they also have flags and radios position every few hundred metres and can slow down race traffic or even stop it very quickly. At an RTC, there are the victims, the people who have stopped to help and the rubberneckers all in attendance well before the rozzers arrive. They have no flags or radios and are relying on vehicles travelling at high speed stopping. There's online footage of a Brandywell crash. Its taken from a car parked at the junction. Biker 1 approaches too fast and goes off the side. The car driver gets out to try and slow down approaching traffic and the next two bikes hit each other while braking and one slides into the side of the car.

Watch that footage and then tell me the closures are unnecessary.

The officers attending the accident scene will determine what needs to be done as and when they arrive. Immediate closure helps speed up the process.

• Like 7

I thought it would be obvious that they close the roads to reduce incidents. It goes without saying that the less time the the road is open the fewer accidents there will be. A bit puzzled because the series of events you portrayed will all have happened well before the road can be closed. The road closure has no impact on the traffic already ahead of it.

I think that if the police wanted the Mountain Road shut, it would be shut. Quite right too.

If these dickheads keep going the way of the last few years, I can see the road being shut for the whole two weeks. ( and I would agree with doing it ).

The free for all cannot go on much longer.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

It's the minority spoiling it. As always.

I've seen more poor and dangerous riding this year than I think I have ever seen. It is still not even race week yet.

We got turned away on Tynwald Road in Peel at teatime, as the road was closed for what I'm told is more bad news.

Imagine if this Vision Nine lot manage to increase the number of bikers coming over, what carnage there could be if nothing is done about the standard of riding, or the portrayal of the island as being a racetrack with no limits.

• Like 2

Really? why else would they close roads. What possible motive is there?

Marshals have their flags, however they also have flags and radios position every few hundred metres and can slow down race traffic or even stop it very quickly. At an RTC, there are the victims, the people who have stopped to help and the rubberneckers all in attendance well before the rozzers arrive. They have no flags or radios and are relying on vehicles travelling at high speed stopping. There's online footage of a Brandywell crash. Its taken from a car parked at the junction. Biker 1 approaches too fast and goes off the side. The car driver gets out to try and slow down approaching traffic and the next two bikes hit each other while braking and one slides into the side of the car.

Watch that footage and then tell me the closures are unnecessary.

The officers attending the accident scene will determine what needs to be done as and when they arrive. Immediate closure helps speed up the process.

I saw footage of an off and it looked to me like the carpark at Black Hut.

The first bike went off into the grass bank adjacent to and just past the entrance to the carpark , 2 bikes then slowed and one turned into the car park and was hit by a following bike going inside which subsequently was dropped and hit the bank , the rider was immediately up and appeared uninjured.

I may be wrong and it may be another incident but don't know how to access the footage I saw.

There have been 4 'offs' so far by bikers (not racers) at Black hut and ,I understand 8 at Brandywell including ,sadly, a 'fatal'.

Is exactly what I said, I first watched the film at work so it was on silent (do not worry, I am grateful that I have a job, my set hours are 'blah', I finish my weeks work when my tray's are empty, sometimes I clean the office/toilets/kitchen, I would not con my boss he's mostly pretty ace) I was completely befummoxed, what were they doing there? Why were they recording boring fast bikes if not to capture a crash? Surely the guy flapping his arms did little to calm the situation, but then I saw it with the sound up, the other crash, nuts, pure crazy. In light of it all - some bikers are mad and shit happens :)

• Like 2