Mountain Watch

Mission

You have to apply some logic. There was a pack of 6 riding 2 abreast out past Greeba on the course this morning with bikes flying past them. It's Mad Sunday - I have no sympathy for any of the fuckers. They're just asking to go home in an ambulance. Most of them appear to be arrogant shit-heads who are just doing it to cause annoyance and add to the already dangerous situation on the roads. They won't feel so bloody smug if one of them gets wiped out.

Careful, your prejudice is showing. Where do things like arrogance and smugness come into it? They're just doing what they enjoy, it's you that's projecting smugness onto them. Feeling a little insecure are we?

Stupid twats.

There's zero logic in your stance. Motorcyclists are dying, and you're complaining about how unsafe cyclists are? How many cycling fatalities have there been?

As many have observed the road is a public highway and the cyclist was simply using it.

Were access to the road to be restricted in some way, it may no longer be viewed as a public highway by insurance companies, and additional cover could be required for anyone using it a la Nurburgring.

It's still a public road, but one-way for a short period.

Cycles are banned from motorways too, and those roads are public.

I know what you're saying about the Nurburgring , but that's stretching it a bit isn't it ?

I also heard a Policeman say on the radio that cycles were not permitted over the mountain for the duration.

You have to apply some logic. There was a pack of 6 riding 2 abreast out past Greeba on the course this morning with bikes flying past them. It's Mad Sunday - I have no sympathy for any of the fuckers. They're just asking to go home in an ambulance. Most of them appear to be arrogant shit-heads who are just doing

it to cause annoyance and add to the already dangerous situation on the roads. They won't feel so bloody smug if one of them gets wiped out.

Careful, your prejudice is showing. Where do things like arrogance and smugness come into it? They're just doing what they enjoy, it's you that's projecting smugness onto them. Feeling a little insecure are we?

Stupid twats.

There's zero logic in your stance. Motorcyclists are dying, and you're complaining about how unsafe cyclists are? How many cycling fatalities have there been?

If you want to kill yourself please feel free. Dont try to pretend that cycling on the Bungalow on Mad Sunday is anything but completely fucking stupid though. Yes they're doing what they enjoy - being, stupid, arrogant, tossers who think they are completely immune from the laws of the land or reality. They're not even insured so if someone gets knocked off at 100mph I suppose at least it's a cheap job to deal with it. A £20 cardboard Eco-coffin and drop them in a skip. No need to claim anything more against someone else's insurance.

Edited by oldmanxfella
  • Like 1

My grandad took his bike to the terrace in TT week to do his shopping, when my dad advised that maybe he should leave his bike at home for TT he was told "I have as much right to be on the road as anyone else!" and he cycled in TT week until he gave up cycling for health reasons (he was about 86)

It isn't about his "rights".

It's about using some common sense. There is no point in cycling on general principal just because you are being an obstinate old bugger. I can understand why someone might want to "exercise their rights" but sometimes it's better to admit defeat and leave the bike at home for a few weeks. Especially when you are a very old man.

Edited by notwell
  • Like 2

You'd have thought that with shitloads of inexperienced bikers going round sometimes blind corners at speeds way beyond their abilities cyclists would avoid the course at this time of year.

Personally I head offroad and take to the old railway lines to stay fit but the lovely smooth Sloc and surrounding roads would surely be the place to go for the on road types at the moment

• Like 2

If the Police allowed rioting and lynching for the same week, every year, I'd probably stay indoors even though I'd have every right to walk down the high street.

And maybe the above cyclist got the same rush as the bikers going past her into blind corners at 120+ It HAS to be thrilling knowing death could come at any moment?

Each to their own.

• Like 1

.. but the lovely smooth Sloc and surrounding roads would surely be the place to go for the on road types at the moment

the presumably visiting idiots were out in force on the shoulder + sloc roads on Sunday - one almost hit me full on, on my side of road when he realised too late that there was a bend and he was too fast - not sure if a few others has shot down the 'escape' road on the very deceptive bend somewhat earlier.

So you'd encourage cyclists to use the mountain road during T.T. then Piebaps, and you see nothing wrong with it. Is that what you're saying ?

Didn't say that at all - just pointing out that restricting access may (even if it sounds unlikely) have unintended consequences.

Please don't twist my words.

• Like 1

It feels like we are heading towards the Mountain being closed for the fortnight or having a speed restriction on it for the period

What do you mean it feels like we are? Do you know something along those is going to happen or is it just your personal opinion that it should?

It feels like we are heading towards the Mountain being closed for the fortnight or having a speed restriction on it for the period

What do you mean it feels like we are? Do you know something along those is going to happen or is it just your personal opinion that it should?

It's just my personal opinion

I have no inside knowledge of such matters