Mountain Watch

Mission

12 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It's a different crowd for the fom. The one way system in tt is basically a free track day for wannabe racers.

+1. The "old" MGP and its Classic classes always attracted a more "mature" (read old :lol: ) fan base.

Though that may now be changing with the pushing of the FOM as a "second TT".

• Like 1

I think the MGP always was intended to be a 'second TT', hence holding it at end of August to eek out what used to be called the summer season.

I'm not sure the change of name will help, but I suppose it will. I refuse to change from calling it 'the Manx', but I suppose that will just be another way of me displaying my impending old fartiness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

I think the MGP always was intended to be a 'second TT', hence holding it at end of August to eek out what used to be called the summer season.

I'm not sure the change of name will help, but I suppose it will. I refuse to change from calling it 'the Manx', but I suppose that will just be another way of me displaying my impending old fartiness.

The MGP was always in September

• Like 2

Theres limited boat capacity.

If you're the sort of ballbag for whom  tt wouldnt be the same without an unrestricted one way mountain road then dont come.

Theres plenty more to take your place who might not be as likely to close the road, fill a hospital bed, injure others or end up in a box with the inquest cost and bad PR that comes with a RTA death in TT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Yep true. I was going by lately when it has spanned August/September. Not sure of the reasoning maybe due to there be no 'summer season' to interfere with. There have been a few recent MGPs that were held later in September and for an evening practices with heavy cloud it was looking like lights would be needed...

Is this year's the earliest ever?

Both the TT and the later MGP were seen as extensions to the summer season and for many years 'bookended' it - remember that until the English August Bank holiday was moved from the 1st Sat to last Sat in August some years ago, this early August Bank holiday was the peak of the season - the races have been moved closer together as post the 80s fewer and fewer tourists would be inconvenienced by road closures and the bike fans became the major tourist group - practice in those years was early morning - I recall the 'beware sun' notice on the west side of TT course

11 minutes ago, Frances said:

Both the TT and the later MGP were seen as extensions to the summer season and for many years 'bookended' it - remember that until the English August Bank holiday was moved from the 1st Sat to last Sat in August some years ago, this early August Bank holiday was the peak of the season - the races have been moved closer together as post the 80s fewer and fewer tourists would be inconvenienced by road closures and the bike fans became the major tourist group - practice in those years was early morning - I recall the 'beware sun' notice on the west side of TT course

The “Beware Sun” sign is used in the evening too, if I remember it correctly, on the Ballahutchen (sp) for the setting sun !

Edited by dilligaf

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Not for a very long time I think.  It originally started out as being the first week in September with the Practice Week before in August, but it was moved back to be the last two weeks in August decades ago (1990-ish?).  I suspect the rule now is that August Bank Holiday is the Monday of the race week, which means that the latest the Friday can be is the 4th September, but it can be as early as 30th August.

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not for a very long time I think.  It originally started out as being the first week in September with the Practice Week before in August, but it was moved back to be the last two weeks in August decades ago (1990-ish?).  I suspect the rule now is that August Bank Holiday is the Monday of the race week, which means that the latest the Friday can be is the 4th September, but it can be as early as 30th August.

You should know that the MGP was widely known as “ the September Races”

3 hours ago, ian rush said:

If you're the sort of ballbag for whom  tt wouldnt be the same without an unrestricted one way mountain road then dont come.

Its not unrestricted. There's a speed limit until just above the Gooseneck, there's a restricted section at the bungalow and the limits begin again at Keppel Gate. I suspect we'll see a limit around Brandywell before long too as its a favourite with the lemmings.

The whole unrestricted thing is IMHO a very overegged pudding.

• Like 1