Mountain Watch

Mission

39 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Nice day, for 'pushing on'.

One yesterday dinnertime too, off at Windy Corner with Police and Testing Station bods in attendance. Section of wall demolished at Waterworks too now, southbound. Silver Renault Megane parked halfway up a bank at the Gooseneck a couple of weeks ago. "Gloves are off" up there again obviously.

ETA About a month ago Howard Quayle had a release on MR stating that there were over 700 RTIs on-Island in the last 12 months, with a significant number of them on the Mountain Rd. Can anybody link to it please?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

One yesterday dinnertime too, off at Windy Corner with Police and Testing Station bods in attendance. Section of wall demolished at Waterworks too now, southbound. Silver Renault Megane parked halfway up a bank at the Gooseneck a couple of weeks ago. "Gloves are off" up there again obviously.

The Renault was the Pizza delivery one someone must of been hungry! Closed again late this afternoon between Ramsey and the bungalow.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, Max Power said:

He was a member of the Eurosport team covering Motorcycle Endurance World Championship racing apparently. Still, very sad and my thoughts are with all affected.

Been hearing some shocking things about that!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Best to introduce an all over 20mph speed limit?

Probably a bit excessive :lol:.  But there do seem to be a large number of people who experience difficulty navigating the Mountain Rd without incident.

If they want to do that by themselves, that's fine by me personally, it's when they take out other innocent road users that it seems more than a little unreasonable.

Since the lockdown limit (when there were fewer, if any incidents "up there") there have been at least the number of incidents that I've posted just previously. Plus today's. Plus the ones that happened straight away after the lifting, the one at the 33rd and the one that demolished the section of fencing at the East Mountain gate area, causing a further closure while it was patched up. This is all pointing towards something IMHO.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Since the lockdown limit (when there were fewer, if any incidents "up there") there have been at least the number of incidents that I've posted just previously. Plus today's. Plus the ones that happened straight away after the lifting, the one at the 33rd and the one that demolished the section of fencing at the East Mountain gate area, causing a further closure while it was patched up. This is all pointing towards something IMHO.

the reduction over lockdown wasn't completely about speed though, it was also due to far less traffic on the roads as businesses shut and people weren't allowed to make non essential journeys

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rhumsaa said:

the reduction over lockdown wasn't completely about speed though, it was also due to far less traffic on the roads as businesses shut and people weren't allowed to make non essential journeys

I think it is a period of time in respect of island road safety that has to be expunged from the record. It was wholly artificial. All we can say is that if we want a 900% reduction in road traffic collisions then we need fewer vehicles and very low road speeds.

i sincerely hope that a road closure today of several hours doesn’t mean what it used to do in my day. But every collision up there, whatever the reason, leads to the question as to why the Department and the Road Safety Partnership aren’t doing something about it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Agreed, and I posted a few weeks ago asking if anybody could perm the statistics to take into account the fall in traffic on the above grounds. As a regular Mountain commuter though, I've noticed that it has taken a while for the "lockdown limit" to wear off, psychologically.  For a good couple of weeks after lifting people were still keeping to @ 50-60. Now normal service has been resumed, higher speeds, questionable overtaking manouvres and the Wacky Races mentality. It's already showing in the RTI figures.

• Like 2