Mountain Watch

Mission

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

the reduction over lockdown wasn't completely about speed though, it was also due to far less traffic on the roads as businesses shut and people weren't allowed to make non essential journeys

But keeping the reduced speed limits would have prevented most of the crashes we have seen since lifting the 40 max. Ev3n as a so called petrol head, I seriously would not mind if that limit had been kept.

We drove back to Douglas this afternoon from the Sound, obeying every speed  limit. I lost count of the number of drivers who tried to intimidate me to go faster. So many of these idiots forget that they are being recorded on dash cams or rear view cams. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think it is a period of time in respect of island road safety that has to be expunged from the record. It was wholly artificial. All we can say is that if we want a 900% reduction in road traffic collisions then we need fewer vehicles and very low road speeds.

i sincerely hope that a road closure today of several hours doesn’t mean what it used to do in my day. But every collision up there, whatever the reason, leads to the question as to why the Department and the Road Safety Partnership aren’t doing something about it?

What 900% reduction. Your calculator batteries are running low mate.

• Haha 1

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

I had to slam on the anchors only yesterday to let some dipshit in ahead of me after he'd tried overtaking while another car was coming. Then he did the exact same thing to the next car in front 30 seconds later. The gloves are off alright.

Ah, but were you driving "an unsuitable shitheap"? :lol: If so, clearly it was all your fault....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

A dickhead driving badly will do it no matter the road or the speed limit.

But if there's a limit in place they'll be likely to do it more slowly. Which gives them more time to regain control and other people more time to get out of the way. And saves much grief.

UK motorways with all their attendant infrastructure have a limit of 70mph. Even most of Germany's famed autobahns have 130kmh limit.

We have a two-lane hillside country road with theoretically no speed limit. And an appalling RTI and fatality record, all things considered.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But if there's a limit in place they'll be likely to do it more slowly. Which gives them more time to regain control and other people more time to get out of the way. And saves much grief.

Some chump banged 90mph through St Marks which is a 30 mph zone

As far as I can find out, the Isle of Man is the only country on the planet that has no speed limit on 2-way roads. Other countries have speed limits because of the value they place on human life. The IoM gov. does not have those values.
For people who live in, for example France, being able to drive on a motorway at 90 mph rather than 40 mph  makes a difference for the time it takes to drive from the north coast to the south coast.
People who drive at high speed over the mountain road here are just doing it for the thrill.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Some chump banged 90mph through St Marks which is a 30 mph zone

I am not condoning the speeds at St. Marks, but it should be made clear that 5hose high speeds were NOT through the village, but more than likely  on that long smooth straight from Bridge Nurseries to St Marks . Massive difference between that and what is generally believed to be the speeds past the church etc. Just saying.

13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I am not condoning the speeds at St. Marks, but it should be made clear that 5hose high speeds were NOT through the village, but more than likely  on that long smooth straight from Bridge Nurseries to St Marks . Massive difference between that and what is generally believed to be the speeds past the church etc. Just saying.

It could also have been a police car on a 'shout'

• Thanks 1