Mountain Watch

Mission

4 hours ago, WTF said:

no speed limit doesn't mean you have to drive fast

You are right, of course, and the majority get this. But a posted speed limit should also form part of the risk assessment. All roads have  ‘design speed’ which is a maximum deemed safe based on surface, topography, locality and miscellaneous hazards. Without it,mit is very hard to criticize anyone who decides to go balls out. There are ma. Good drivers and riders on the island more than capable of traversing the Mountain at very high speed, but there are lots of others that aren’t. Regrettably, those are the ones who you have to legislate for - like the drink drivers, no seatbelters, and mobile phone users. 

Set limits, and it is a lot easier to drive up standards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

You are right, of course, and the majority get this. But a posted speed limit should also form part of the risk assessment. All roads have  ‘design speed’ which is a maximum deemed safe based on surface, topography, locality and miscellaneous hazards. Without it,mit is very hard to criticize anyone who decides to go balls out. There are ma. Good drivers and riders on the island more than capable of traversing the Mountain at very high speed, but there are lots of others that aren’t. Regrettably, those are the ones who you have to legislate for - like the drink drivers, no seatbelters, and mobile phone users. 

Set limits, and it is a lot easier to drive up standards.

I agree to a point. I have driven every imaginable vehicle type and licensed to do so, but getting a puncture or a sheep jumping into the road means disaster, no matter how good a driver one is. Just saying

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I agree to a point. I have driven every imaginable vehicle type and licensed to do so, but getting a puncture or a sheep jumping into the road means disaster, no matter how good a driver one is. Just saying

Neither would worry a steam roller too much, what are they like to drive?:D

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

A pal of mine turned up to a car show in a steam roller last year.

”Where is he going to park that?”, someone asked.

”Wherever he likes!” was the reply.

don't give up your day job,........................................................................ too late....

• Haha 7

There's a fine set of new skidmarks appeared on the three righthanders north-bound immediately below Guthrie's now too, looks like somebody's lost it there in recent days.

Can anybody link to HQ's RTI annual figures statement of about 5-6 weeks ago please, I'm sure it was on MR News?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There's a fine set of new skidmarks appeared on the three righthanders north-bound immediately below Guthrie's now too, looks like somebody's lost it there in recent days.

Can anybody link to HQ's RTI annual figures statement of about 5-6 weeks ago please, I'm sure it was on MR News?

This one?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kevster said:

Thanks Kevster, not the exact one I was thinking of but certainly related, but that's my bad for not remembering, maybe it was another outlet. 

There were total RTI figures for a 12 month period and I'm sure it was @ 700 with a breakdown of how many of those actually occurred on the Mountain Road which was an eye opener i.e. lots of them. But thanks for that link anyway :flowers:

ETA. Just reading through that too - "Having fewer cars on the road meant that action was needed".

Yes, the lockdown speed limit because fewer overall cars meant less traffic congestion and greater temptation for dickheads to drive like, er, dickheads?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

Yes, I've found a table in the road safety strategy document - from 1998-2017 there were 19,502 over that 20 years noted by police. so, averaging just under 1000 RTC's per year. Of those nearly 20,000 collisions, just under 5000 slight injuries, 1243 collisions resulting in serious injury to at least one person involved, and 156 collisions resulting in 1 or more fatalities. 

• Thanks 1