Mountain Watch

Mission

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I think you're taking a pop at the wrong end of the spectrum.

I'm just responding to a comment, there's plenty of pops to go round the spectrum

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

A bit of an exaggeration Boris. Yes there have been some bad accidents up there but the two places you mention are slow corners with no kerbs to keep people away from the walls? It doesn't take much for some duffer to drift into said wall at a fairly low speed. I don't think a low limit would have the desired effect over the Mountain as people will speed where the road is clear. A limit of 70mph should be sufficient over most of the road? Better opportunities for people to use their cars at track focussed events would help I'm sure.

There are skid marks approaching the demolished wall at the exit to Waterworks southbound. That wasn't a low speed incident; supported by the fact that there was enough momentum to actually demolish the section of wall in question. Same with the section (only just rebuilt from the previous demolition) that somebody's driven into at the Gooseneck coming down. 60 or 70 is enough over the Mountain, though personally, I'd put 40 from the Hairpin to past the Gooseneck exit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There are skid marks approaching the demolished wall at the exit to Waterworks southbound. That wasn't a low speed incident; supported by the fact that there was enough momentum to actually demolish the section of wall in question. Same with the section (only just rebuilt from the previous demolition) that somebody's driven into at the Gooseneck coming down. 60 or 70 is enough over the Mountain, though personally, I'd put 40 from the Hairpin to past the Gooseneck exit.

It’s perfectly possible to put down a good set of marks at 30mph

Travelling north over the mountain from Douglas, down into the Gooseneck, there's next to nothing to indicate a very tight hairpin bend. Only one sign that shows a 60 degree turn. That catches out a lot of inexperienced drivers who don't know the road. They come down from maybe 70 or 80mph and have got no chance of getting round. It's been this way for as long as I've been driving. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s perfectly possible to put down a good set of marks at 30mph

And demolish a wall. In which case it's clearly too fast for the conditions and/or misjudgement of the road, amounting to the same thing? I appreciate what you're saying but it's a convergent argument. The "shortage" of ability is being greatly assisted by a lack of restriction which is breeding complacency?.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

Drove back from Ramsey yesterday and as I was accompanied by my better half, I was driving at a low speed about 40 mph leaving Ramsey. I pulled over at the Barrule reservoir car park and allowed three faster cars to pass. Then approaching the Les Graham memorial, we were caught up by about six cars. As there was nowhere safe to pull over, I increased my own speed so as not to piss the others off. Traveling at between 50 and 65 mph we progressed well, but what was odd that was that through the corners we left them all behind, but on straight sections they caught us up until the next corner. Lack of confidence is just as bad as lack of experience. Obviously their car’s performance was greater than the driver’s reactions. There lies the problem. It is easy to buy a fast car, but harder to increase your brainpower.

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And demolish a wall. In which case it's clearly too fast for the conditions and/or misjudgement of the road, amounting to the same thing? I appreciate what you're saying but it's a convergent argument. The "shortage" of ability is being greatly assisted by a lack of restriction which is breeding complacency?.

You are transferring a huge amount of energy at 30 mph. NCAP testing is done at 30.

it doesn’t take much to knock down that wall. Still little excuse tho’. 

19 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Has it ever occurred to you that some people might drive slowly because of all the idiots on the road ? I've noticed my driving get progressively slower over the years as I become more aware of dangers that I didn't think about when I was young, fast and stupid. It might be counter-intuitive, but perhaps the faster drivers slow everyone else down to keep out of their way for their own safety on dangerous routes. Think about that.

Thanks for tootin' the horn for us 'senior drivers' who are not racing around the island at breakneck speeds just 'because we can'. The quality of driving on the island now has reached a new level (poorer). Its not just the Mountain road - it's everywhere at the moment. I regularly watch traffic go past my home  ( 30 mph stretch) at speeds well over that, but of course like elsewhere it is never policed. As for the Mountain road itself, make it 40 and make it non - overtaking. As some one posted, anextra 5 minutes journey time isn't going to kill anyone is it?

Edited by Apple
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

You are transferring a huge amount of energy at 30 mph. NCAP testing is done at 30.

it doesn’t take much to knock down that wall. Still little excuse tho’. 

it also depends on the vehicle weight, it isn't just speed. the heavier the vehicle the more energy to transfer.

16 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

If I was up there with a clear road in front of me I would prefer to do whatever speed I felt was appropriate for the conditions, not one imposed upon me

Typical selfish driver’s attitude. It’s fine for you as you’re no doubt an above average driver with lightening quick reaction times, just like almost everyone else if asked to self-rate their ability. 
For the safety of us all however speed limits and other restrictions should be determined with reference to the slightly below average driver. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Typical selfish driver’s attitude. It’s fine for you as you’re no doubt an above average driver with lightening quick reaction times, just like almost everyone else if asked to self-rate their ability. 
For the safety of us all however speed limits and other restrictions should be determined with reference to the slightly below average driver. 

yes,  but rhumsaa might consider 35mph to be the maximum safe speed at which point they are a mobile chicane and in the way for most people not in tractors.

7 minutes ago, WTF said:

yes,  but rhumsaa might consider 35mph to be the maximum safe speed at which point they are a mobile chicane and in the way for most people not in tractors.

You make a reasonable point, and it’s one I’ve thought about. You are allowed to overtake on double whites as long as it’s something like a steam roller at 5mph, or a cyclist struggling uphill. Perhaps as well as a speed limit the mountain should have a minimum?

There never was “no overtaking“ on the mountain during the 40mph limit. There may have been signs, the police might have said it, but there was no law about it. When challenged on Twitter about it they acknowledged it wasn’t law and amended some of their posts.