Mountain Watch

Mission

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

You are transferring a huge amount of energy at 30 mph. NCAP testing is done at 30.

it doesn’t take much to knock down that wall. Still little excuse tho’. 

maths not your strongpoint then Del...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Typical selfish driver’s attitude. It’s fine for you as you’re no doubt an above average driver with lightening quick reaction times, just like almost everyone else if asked to self-rate their ability. 
For the safety of us all however speed limits and other restrictions should be determined with reference to the slightly below average driver. 

Bearing in mind the standard of driving on the island surely that would mean speed limits of between twenty-five and thirty-five miles per hour?

44 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Ah the memories...………………………...remember the good ol days when the Police actually policed the roads...……...

Them were the days.....

I remember being stopped driving out of Laxey. I was driving a red truck. The policeman ( I think John Hall ?) gave me a bollocking then, smiled and said “ it may well be red, but it’s not a ****** fire engine”. Good old days.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

Typical selfish driver’s attitude. It’s fine for you as you’re no doubt an above average driver with lightening quick reaction times, just like almost everyone else if asked to self-rate their ability. 
For the safety of us all however speed limits and other restrictions should be determined with reference to the slightly below average driver. 

If anything you're the one with the selfish attitude, you don't feel comfortable so the world should adjust to make you happy and to hell with anyone else

6 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Is it not 40? 64km/h is 40mph... Hell of a lot of difference in energy between 30 and 40mph.

I’ll stand corrected but it was my understanding the general head on test is done at 50kph, which is 31 mph. 

ETA I’ve just checked...

https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-safety/the-ratings-explained/adult-occupant-protection/frontal-impact/full-width-rigid-barrier/

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Ah the memories...………………………...remember the good ol days when the Police actually policed the roads...……...

Them were the days.....

Wake up Boris, matron says it's time for your wake up call. :D Police on the roads, whatever next...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

If anything you're the one with the selfish attitude, you don't feel comfortable so the world should adjust to make you happy and to hell with anyone else

Expect better from you on this. You like driving fast and think you should be allowed to go for it ‘if it’s safe for you’. So do I actually, but in an attempt to follow Spock’s principle that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few I’d be happy to relinquish those rights. 

My views on speed limits and overtaking on the mountain are nothing to do with my personal comfort and all to do with overall road safety. You’ve either misunderstood my thoughts, or are being deliberately obtuse making me out to be a selfish twat who is personally uncomfortable driving at speed. 

I’m not, and like I say I expected better from you. 

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, wrighty said:

...... Spock’s principle that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few I’d be happy to relinquish those rights. 

My views on speed limits and overtaking on the mountain are nothing to do with my personal comfort and all to do with overall road safety. 

This is an absolute reflection of my own position. 

• Like 3

No-one has complete freedom to do what they want. A person's freedom is always limited by the rules of society and the laws of the country.

There are some similarities between the laws in all civilised countries - murder is illegal of course, but also all countries use speed limits as part of its road safety measures.

But the IoM singularly stands apart from the rest of the world in respect of no speed limits on 2-way roads.

With regard to safety in general, a country should look at what is done in other countries and adopt best practice. Clearly the IoM gov. does not do that in this respect.

There are individuals in other countries who do not want speed limits, and clearly there are people posting on this forum that have that view. For individuals to have such views is acceptable (although I disagree with them), but it is not acceptable to me that a government should take this view.

So why does the gov. not impose speed limits? Well, one possibility is that they believe that there would be a reduced number of visitors during the TT and MGP - i.e. the possible financial loss to the hotel trade and brewery outweighs the value of human life. If some MHKs do hold that view it says rather a lot about their morality.

Apart from that, what possible justification is there?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

No-one has complete freedom to do what they want. A person's freedom is always limited by the rules of society and the laws of the country.

There are some similarities between the laws in all civilised countries - murder is illegal of course, but also all countries use speed limits as part of its road safety measures.

But the IoM singularly stands apart from the rest of the world in respect of no speed limits on 2-way roads.

With regard to safety in general, a country should look at what is done in other countries and adopt best practice. Clearly the IoM gov. does not do that in this respect.

There are individuals in other countries who do not want speed limits, and clearly there are people posting on this forum that have that view. For individuals to have such views is acceptable (although I disagree with them), but it is not acceptable to me that a government should take this view.

So why does the gov. not impose speed limits? Well, one possibility is that they believe that there would be a reduced number of visitors during the TT and MGP - i.e. the possible financial loss to the hotel trade and brewery outweighs the value of human life. If some MHKs do hold that view it says rather a lot about their morality.

Apart from that, what possible justification is there?

There isn’t any. The state fails on its article 2 obligations in respect of this one. 

The vast majority of TT visitors don’t come to hoon. But the biggest failing is that the Govt is not following it’s own asserted strategy of taking an evidence based approach to speed limits.

As I always say, I like a fast run every bit as much as the next man. But as Wrighty states, there is a bigger picture here.

• Like 1

So why does the gov. not impose speed limits? Well, one possibility is that they believe that there would be a reduced number of visitors during the TT and MGP - i.e. the possible financial loss to the hotel trade and brewery outweighs the value of human life.

It's much more than a possibility. That's the reality. Local business interests have always trumped politics and the people here. The T.T. has been the golden egg that keeps laying for generations and anything that might jeopardise it - like speed limits - is bad for business. That perception will have to change first before there's any move towards speed limits. It just won't happen until then.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So why does the gov. not impose speed limits? Well, one possibility is that they believe that there would be a reduced number of visitors during the TT and MGP - i.e. the possible financial loss to the hotel trade and brewery outweighs the value of human life.

It's much more than a possibility. That's the reality. Local business interests have always trumped politics and the people here. The T.T. has been the golden egg that keeps laying for generations and anything that might jeopardise it - like speed limits - is bad for business. That perception will have to change first before there's any move towards speed limits. It just won't happen until then.

I'm not so sure any more as to whether that is valid. Fewer motorcycles make the trip, now c.12,000 via the SPCo? The reality is that the majority ride sensibly and just want to take in the course. The remaining lunatics we could well do without anyway. I sometimes wonder if many are put off coming on a motorcycle because of the reckless minority and the lack of any control of their riding?

The Dutch TT and other Grands Prix are very well attended by motorcyclists, despite the fact that they can't ride the course and there are strict speed limits in those countries. Mad Sunday is now a myth from the mists of time, every day is mad on the Mountain, and I believe to the detriment of the races.

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2