Mountain Watch

Mission

On 10/1/2020 at 8:26 AM, Out of the blue said:

When my boys get to the age that they can drive, any lessons, purchase of a car or access to a car will be dependent on them attending advanced lessons. A lot of people believe that speed limits are the panacea, whereas being able to read the road and drive accordingly is more important. And for those who support speed cameras, they obviously have never lived in the south east. They are ineffective revenue generating monstrosities. 

I'm not letting my kids drive until they can lap the Nordschleife quicker than me in a simulator.

• Haha 3

If you believe someone did 90 through St Mark's then what difference do speed limits make? The bellends will just ignore them anyway.

It's all about driving standards.

The worst drivers are those who drive everywhere at 37mph. Mountain mile or Ballasalla village, it makes no odds, 37 is what they'll do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tetchtyke said:

If you believe someone did 90 through St Mark's then what difference do speed limits make? The bellends will just ignore them anyway.

It's all about driving standards.

The worst drivers are those who drive everywhere at 37mph. Mountain mile or Ballasalla village, it makes no odds, 37 is what they'll do.

This.

The tragic accident this year was in a 50.

• Like 1

A speed limit is the statutory authority doing its bit, to give an informed instruction as to what a “do not exceed”limit should be for a particular stretch of road. It takes into account a myriad of factors. I was away a few weeks ago and drove along a road that I remember 25years ago as being a national limit. It is now 40, predicated no doubt on its continued deterioration through subsidence. If you tried to drive down it at 60youd be in a ditch. 

People will always break speed limits, until there is some level of autonomous control in vehicle systems. A speed limit makes it a matter of choice to ignore the ‘advice’ that you are being given. That gives a clearer demarcation between what is ‘wrong’, and ‘right’.

the skill in setting a limit is doing at a level where the man on the Onchan omnibus can see, with a reasonable degree of clarity as to how it has been arrived at, and that it is in itself reasonable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Or excessive rainwater on the road

Or poor road design

Or unseen water causing aquaplaning

Or something wrong with the road surface

Or a landslide

Or having a heart attack at the wheel.

Life in your world may be binary and black and white but there are shades of grey in-between.  Your narrowed vision holds you back from making informed decisions.

Not wanting to argue but I’ve never heard of anyone crashing on the mountain road having suffered a heard attack.

The rest of your list can all be circumvented by driving to the conditions. ;-)

Edited by dilligaf

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Not wanting to argue but I’ve never heard of anyone crashing on the mountain road having suffered a heard attack.

The rest of your list can all be circumvented by driving to the conditions. ;-)

well certainly there has been a fatality due to that. May not have been the Mountain but that isn't the point being made.

Also, I've driven the Mountain Road a lot and whilst it is easy to harp on about "driving to the conditions " it is entirely possible to be caught out up there doing nothing wrong at all.

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

well certainly there has been a fatality due to that. May not have been the Mountain but that isn't the point being made.

Also, I've driven the Mountain Road a lot and whilst it is easy to harp on about "driving to the conditions " it is entirely possible to be caught out up there doing nothing wrong at all.

Sorry TDB, the thread is about the mountain road

I reckon I have driven over a million miles, mostly over here.

I , Like you, don’t crawl along and no matter how many times I drive over the mountain, I am always expecting the unexpected. Driving for some becomes a habit and some get blaze to the dangers that road holds in store.

No doubt next time I traverse it now, I will go off at the 33rd or Brandywell ;-(

4 hours ago, trmpton said:

Re 90 through St Marks.

Did anyone check with the police if there had been any blue light runs through there while the monitoring things was in place?

I see your point.

I reckon though that the vehicle was no doubt on the long straight heading up from the old Bridge Nurseries .

6 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Or excessive rainwater on the road

Or poor road design

Or unseen water causing aquaplaning

Or something wrong with the road surface

Or a landslide

Or having a heart attack at the wheel.

Life in your world may be binary and black and white but there are shades of grey in-between.  Your narrowed vision holds you back from making informed decisions.

You described 4 (perhaps 5) things that can be effectively combatted by better driver training, and one medical emergency which is not likely to cause many crashes over here...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

You described 4 (perhaps 5) things that can be effectively combatted by better driver training, and one medical emergency which is not likely to cause many crashes over here...

You're more likely to have a heart attack opening your electricity bill.

• Like 4