Mountain Watch

Mission

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Lots of people are though to be fair. I actually saw a woman walk into a lamppost the other day as she was glued to her phone while walking! 

It's no surprise, Facebook/Twitter/various other platforms all hire psychologists with the purpose of making their platform mentally addictive. It works.

Just now, HeliX said:

It's no surprise, Facebook/Twitter/various other platforms all hire psychologists with the purpose of making their platform mentally addictive. It works.

Watch The Great Hack and The Social Dilemma on Netflix.  Scary stuff.

No wonder you get so many mental Angry from Onchans across so many sites.:o

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Lots of people are though to be fair. I actually saw a woman walk into a lamppost the other day as she was glued to her phone while walking! 

A lot of mostly younger people also increasingly use a phone as a 'social shield' to lock out unwanted contact and communication with insignificant others. You particulary see it on trains and in public spaces, but also in families. People are choosing to be locked into their own goldfish bowl worlds. Phones are part of their identity and who they are. It's becoming a real problem for necessary social interaction, social cohesion, and the unwritten rules and behaviour that we expect of others.

There's obviously a huge knock-on effect for driver behaviour too, that we ignore at everyone's risk. Somebody driving at 100mph plus, with a camera phone recording it, is a reality that we're not addressing here.  

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Watch The Great Hack and The Social Dilemma on Netflix.  Scary stuff.

No wonder you get so many mental Angry from Onchans across so many sites.:o

They have a head start...everyone in Onchan is angry. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

People are choosing to be locked into their own goldfish bowl worlds.

I always have a little laugh when I see couples on social media saying happy birthday/anniversary to each other (usually with firstname and surname, weirdos.).

You woke up next to this person, say it to their face FFS! :D

giphy.gif

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There's obviously a huge knock-on effect for driver behaviour too, that we ignore at everyone's risk. Somebody driving at 100mph plus, with a camera phone recording it, is a reality that we're not addressing here.  

I don't doubt that it's happened, but if you're looking for mobile phone users you're more likely to find them in town, or pootling about crossing the centreline while replying to texts.

That silly woman who walked into the fountain was probably driving a car five minutes before that happened. She might well have got behind the wheel again five minutes after her unscheduled bath. These are the sort of people we're dealing with here Helix. This is the great unwashed washed public who every day get behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. Yet you argue against comprehensive speed limits. The rest of the world gets it but the Isle of Man doesn't. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That silly woman who walked into the fountain was probably driving a car five minutes before that happened. She might well have got behind the wheel again five minutes after her unscheduled bath. These are the sort of people we're dealing with here Helix. This is the great unwashed washed public who every day get behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. Yet you argue against comprehensive speed limits. The rest of the world gets it but the Isle of Man doesn't. 

I don't think the data supports the need for an overall limit (outside of TT week). I certainly don't think the data supports the notion that mobile phone users crashes would be prevented by a speed limit.

5 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

I always have a little laugh when I see couples on social media saying happy birthday/anniversary to each other (usually with firstname and surname, weirdos.).

giphy.gif

must have had a good chuckle in June...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

I think social media is a very good thing in this respect. For example it stops those "Happy Birthday" painted sheets being put up at Quarter Bridge.

• Haha 4