Mountain Watch

Mission

40 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I would like to do a skid test on it while wet, it certainly feels slippy when crossing in the damp, although that is only my opinion I am sure the DOI bods would have carried out a skid test before re-opening the road to traffic.

Talking in general terms and not in respect of this incident; A skid test on the actual surface isn’t really where you’d be looking. It’s the approach to it where your grip coefficient is relevant. If it is lower than what you would find for a normal, well maintained road then braking distances can be adversely affected. Similarly, it can be a factor where it affects the centripetal force and the car or bike let’s go on a bend at a lower speed than it might otherwise have done. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I would like to do a skid test on it while wet, it certainly feels slippy when crossing in the damp, although that is only my opinion I am sure the DOI bods would have carried out a skid test before re-opening the road to traffic.

I didn’t actually seem that bad, certainly no worse than a zebra crossing, I skidded roughly half way over it when I slammed on/had a near miss and stopped on top of it, it was a dry day though. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I didn’t actually seem that bad, certainly no worse than a zebra crossing, I skidded roughly half way over it when I slammed on/had a near miss and stopped on top of it, it was a dry day though. 

At least zebra crossings have lights on to let you know you're approaching them.

If they are serious about making this a commuter route then more consideration should have been given to how commuters can safely cross all roads on the route. If that means reducing the speed limit around the areas where they intersect with the old railway lines then so be it.

It shouldn't have had to take a tragedy like this for change to happen. It was highlighted enough at the time.

I've not actually used the crossing  but are there any warning signs for users of the Heritage trail in either direction to indicate that they are approaching the road crossing?

There are plenty of hazardous crossings, junctions, and unnecessary dangers on the Island's roads. No one listens and It always takes fatalities to get anything done. The DOI army will be down there after this with ten gallons of paint and a small forest of new signs. No one will be held responsible and a promotion or early retirement on enhanced pension will get someone out of the firing line. It's the Manx way - always has been.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I've not actually used the crossing  but are there any warning signs for users of the Heritage trail in either direction to indicate that they are approaching the road crossing?

I’ve cycled the trail a handful of times and the problem I found is that you see the trail stretching out ahead of you, trees etc are casting shadows across it, and a couple of times I’ve thought “shit, that’s a road ahead” and had to brake a bit sharper than usual. Some sort signs or indication that there’s a road ahead would be useful. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Talking in general terms and not in respect of this incident; A skid test on the actual surface isn’t really where you’d be looking. It’s the approach to it where your grip coefficient is relevant. If it is lower than what you would find for a normal, well maintained road then braking distances can be adversely affected. Similarly, it can be a factor where it affects the centripetal force and the car or bike let’s go on a bend at a lower speed than it might otherwise have done. 

What about for a vehicle travelling across it that wanted to stop quickly? Such as a push bike for example?

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

What about for a vehicle travelling across it that wanted to stop quickly? Such as a push bike for example?

Well if it was a zebra crossing then riders would have to dismount before crossing, they wouldn’t be cycling over a painted surface, this is where the crossing that isn’t a crossing gets very confusing.

1 hour ago, The Old Git said:

I’ve cycled the trail a handful of times and the problem I found is that you see the trail stretching out ahead of you, trees etc are casting shadows across it, and a couple of times I’ve thought “shit, that’s a road ahead” and had to brake a bit sharper than usual. Some sort signs or indication that there’s a road ahead would be useful. 

So there's been any amount of enthusiasm and money available to paint a non-regulation, non-compliant design across the public road but nobody thought that it might be a good idea to put a couple of poles and signs up on the trail warning its users that they're approaching a road crossing with vehicles travelling at 40mph across the direction of the trail.

Sounds like the usual sense of priorities these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

there may be now, or the road may be black again.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

To add to the debate, this morning I was in town for a coffee and catch up with some friends who had just arrived, (joke btw, but I was in town). 

I stood on the pavement outside Admiral House where there is a lowered kerb, some different coloured paving and paving across the road but nothing to indicate it was a crossing, like black and white stripes like the one on the other side of Regent Street.  A car did stop for me, but what is it?   I am all for using your common sense, but I don't know if the car should have stopped, whether I should be using it at all or whether it was different, in road rules terms, from the other clear zebra crossing just next to it.