Mountain Watch

Mission

Blue car on its side, Douglas bound, at 33rd, looked like it had run up the inside bank of the corner. Something else had happened further down at Keppel Gate too, Police in attendance at both. Traffic being controlled from Brandywell and Keppel.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

There needs to be a more sustainable solution for that corner. There's a good argument for a 40 limit from the 26th down to the town 

Used to hate driving a HGV round that corner, the amount of dickheads that would be over the double white lines (and probably only actually doing 40mph) was frightening. In my car I can comfortably do 50-60mph on the way up well within the lines, on the way down down however it tends to be a little slower, probably more like 40-45mph.

I’d like to see more checks carried out out on vehicles, better driver education, yes 1.6mm is the legal tread limit but if you’ve got Chinese Ling Longs on when you get below 3mm you can treat wet roads as if you’re driving on ice, somewhere like the Gooseneck is a terrible place to suffer with understeer, its not exactly forgiving.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 1

I've said it on here before everytime this comes up, but the signage coming down into the Gooseneck is piss-poor for inexperienced drivers who don't know how tight it is. Has been for years and the DOI has never listened. Still one sign last time I checked showing a 60 degree left-hand bend. It's nearer 160 degrees. If you don't know the road and it's foggy it can take you by surprise.

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I've said it on here before everytime this comes up, but the signage coming down into the Gooseneck is piss-poor for inexperienced drivers who don't know how tight it is. Has been for years and the DOI has never listened. Still one sign last time I checked showing a 60 degree left-hand bend. It's nearer 160 degrees. If you don't know the road and it's foggy it can take you by surprise.

Perhaps one of those advisory speed limit signs might work? Like at Windy corner? I’ve actually had people argue with me and tell me there is a speed limit at windy corner, so they do have some impact.

15 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Driving out of Ramsey the sign before the hairpin is a 60 degree left sign too.

Coming off the mountain its a proper hairpin 180 degree sign.