No Future

pongo

On reflection, with the way the island is going, I think the local rejection might now be 'divine provenance'.

Too bloody true. I tell you, I'm glad that I haven't moved back yet. What with the new diesel engine, bus station and the rest of the crap I'm having serious thoughts about *not* retiring to the rock.

Getting on for a year in office and AB has not yet cut anything of significance.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On reflection, with the way the island is going, I think the local rejection might now be 'divine provenance'.

Too bloody true. I tell you, I'm glad that I haven't moved back yet. What with the new diesel engine, bus station and the rest of the crap I'm having serious thoughts about *not* retiring to the rock.

Getting on for a year in office and AB has not yet cut anything of significance.

He was never going to. He's finally got his big break and it's going to be on his watch that we see the start of the major decline of the island. He knows the sh*tstorm that is coming down the track so he's having a bit of breathing space before he gets both barrels later on.

Plus it wouldn't surprise me if he's being leaned upon more and more by Whitehall so his hands may be tied. I know that is a view shared by a few 'in the know' on the island, although everyone claims to be in the know here!

I meant the money

Yeah, I realise that but didn't want to miss the opportunity to keep banging the education cuts drum. When you tell others off island that some teachers here have been given redundancy notices they look at you as if you're mad. We must be. Every other education authority in the British Isles is doing the opposite despite the financial cuts there.

Before anyone says it's 'only' nursery education cuts so far, our local man with his engineering masters degree started off his education on the island by going to nursery in the early 90s... still, we've got to do without these luxuries now. Railway engines (just an example, there are dozens) are *much* more important.

Edited to add a further thought : Of course he might do a lot better on the island without working his nuts off for 4 years (including working in industry in his holidays) to get an engineering degree. He could (in my opinion) always get a second rate bank job with the possibility of becoming a minister...whistling.gif

I'm glad that I haven't moved back yet. What with the new diesel engine, bus station and the rest of the crap I'm having serious thoughts about *not* retiring to the rock.

You do seem to rather go around in circles about this.

Cornwall, the Canaries, Provence, the Languedoc, Castletown, Ramsey ....

What is it about Switzerland that makes you want to move away from there ? That's a nice place isn't it ? And your property there presumably is not depreciating in value ?

I'm glad that I haven't moved back yet. What with the new diesel engine, bus station and the rest of the crap I'm having serious thoughts about *not* retiring to the rock.

You do seem to rather go around in circles about this.

What is it about Switzerland that makes you want to move away from there ? That's a nice place isn't it ? And your property there presumably is not depreciating in value ?

As far as i can see, after searching-back, ol' GD4eli's been considering this move since 2009!

It's odd coz every time i read one of his posts now i can smell edelweiss, the clink of cow-bells and distant yodelling!

I'd stay where you are mate, sounds like it's a far yodel from the rock....

I'm confused by GD4ELI's recent comments about Allan Bell. I seem to remember him very recently posting the Allan is the man for the crisis and being positive about the future. I am sure Mr Bell must be equally bemused at this betrayal. You're not Peter Karran are you GD4?

I'm confused by GD4ELI's recent comments about Allan Bell. I seem to remember him very recently posting the Allan is the man for the crisis and being positive about the future. I am sure Mr Bell must be equally bemused at this betrayal. You're not Peter Karran are you GD4?

Nah, you can tell by his diction...

I feel very let down by AB - I had high hopes :(

I will retire at the end of this year, so late 2012 / early 2013 I'll start the moving process. Being single I can do what I want, no ball and chain or ankle snappers.

It would be very nice to return to the rock despite the drawbacks or travel, health, infrastructure etc., but the present inabaility of AB's team to get to grips with the situation is not helping. My gut feeling is that I'll end up in Cornwall but there's plenty of time, the big price crash may still come.

:)

I will retire at the end of this year, so late 2012 / early 2013 I'll start the moving process. Being single I can do what I want, no ball and chain or ankle snappers.

It would be very nice to return to the rock despite the drawbacks or travel, health, infrastructure etc., but the present inabaility of AB's team to get to grips with the situation is not helping. My gut feeling is that I'll end up in Cornwall but there's plenty of time, the big price crash may still come.

:)

A price crash on the island is a certainty, keep your powder dry.

I agree, one thing I'm doing is finding out who owns houses when they come on the market, this gives a good indication of what is to be expected.

Thing is, when the property market crashes (for Slim: not going to happen) the Island may well be a very different place. Come November I'll start making the decision, in the meantime I'll sit back, munch on the popcorn and watch the show.

Or just come on here and piss everyone off with your doom-mongering.

Either way, nobody really cares.

I agree, one thing I'm doing is finding out who owns houses when they come on the market, this gives a good indication of what is to be expected.

Thing is, when the property market crashes (for Slim: not going to happen) the Island may well be a very different place. Come November I'll start making the decision, in the meantime I'll sit back, munch on the popcorn and watch the show.

Archived