Constitution

Lonan3

I heard Steve Rodan on the lunchtime news saying something to the effect that it 'was difficult to see where the new constitution was going' now that Legco have their hands on it.

Steve has worked hard on it - even accepting the ridiculous amendment of 8 constituencies electing 4 members each rather than his original proposal of 16 electing two each.

He was followed by Downie saying that it's time to sit down and sort out a skeleton framework (or some such rubbish).

Does this mean that they've already decided to bury it?

If so, it is criminal that the mainly unelected Legco can destroy the work done by the elected members of the Keys.

Offhand, I think that Claire Christian, Eddie Lowey, George Waft, Dudley Butt and Noel Cringle did not stand for the House of Keys at the last election and most were already comfortably in place in LegCo.

That's a relief - there are some really shady characters in that Legco

I agree.

Downie said on Manx Radio today that LEGCO was a democratically elected body.

What bloody universe does he live in?

Democratically elected he says. The Keys elect people to LEGCO in a secret ballot so the public do not know who their elected Keys members voted for.

A democratic election in my view is an election by the people. Not by the Keys in secret.

But what do you expect from a jumped up Chimney sweep who visted China for the most expensive curry ever? :angry:

The Keys elect people to LEGCO in a secret ballot so the public do not know who their elected Keys members voted for.

A secret ballot is always more democratically safe than a public vote, IMO. Think about it.

Its a secret ballot for Legco for the same reason it is a secret ballot for election to MHK.Election without fear or favour.if you don't know who voted for you,you owe no favours.

The fiasco with the Legco vote stems from the fact that they are supposed to vote for somebody they think suitable to be an MLC.Not the best of candidants presented,they really need more candidants?

Archived