Fake Cigarette Terror Alert Panic

Amadeus

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read the same article. Amazing, truly amazing. I do hope the dumb police who ran this operation get their tails sued.

ETA:

Also - the Olympics should be amazing fun.

I just read the same article. Amazing, truly amazing. I do hope the dumb police who ran this operation get their tails sued.

ETA:

So if it turned out to be a real threat and the police did nothing, what would you be saying then?

ETA:

So if it turned out to be a real threat and the police did nothing, what would you be saying then?

This was an overreaction, the plod got it very wrong.

ETA:

I agree that some sort of response was required, but surely, once the guy with the fake cigarette just demonstrated what it was, everyone could have been on their way. Why 5 hours, fire service decontamination units, road closures... Definitely an over reaction. The terrorists have indeed won, at least in the UK.

The terrorists have indeed won, at least in the UK.

Hands down, in spades.

IMO the only people who don't realise this are the Americans, it's cost them the best part of $ 1 trillion so far plus many more post 8/11 fatalities. At least Obama is looking for an exit strategy - any exit strategy.

It's a massive over-reaction - whatever happened to common sense? It's all guidelines now and no-one wants to use their brain as long as there's a "Cover my arse" checklist. Christ on a bike - have you seen the circus they out up there?

Let me guess: someone foreign looking with beard had it, right? This wouldn't have happened otherwise - white, British looking dude with e-cigarette wouldn't cause this. I've used them on buses and planes when I was still smoking - never had a problem.

Tony B-Liar helped to create this atmosphere of fear and panic - can't wait for the Olympics to see how many fuck ups they'll do. It'll be plenty. This whole over-reaction-always-on-the-edge thing causes only one thing: if there's a real threat, it will be missed.

The terrorists have indeed won - them, and the security industry.

The terrorists have indeed won - them, and the security industry.

Mind you, those of us involved in military surveillance software aren't doing too bad out of it. It's a very, very strange and frightening world.

The helicopter pictures of the "suspects" all sat down in a line on the road like a bunch of Guantanamo Bay inmates surrounded by black clad armed police will stay in my mind for a long time.

To be honest I have only recently bought an electronic cigarette and I feel uncomfortable using it in No Smoking areas because it gives off smoke. Not because I might be accused of being a terrorist but because it gives of a vapor.

How is it any different to the real thing if you can draw on one and blow out a cloud of chemicals? Will this event see them banned too?

You just have to wonder how long does it take to ascertain that the cause was something as benign as a E cigarette.

The terrorist organisations must be delighted to see this sort of incident,and how little it takes to cause this scale of disruption

The helicopter pictures of the "suspects" all sat down in a line on the road like a bunch of Guantanamo Bay inmates surrounded by black clad armed police will stay in my mind for a long time.

To be honest I have only recently bought an electronic cigarette and I feel uncomfortable using it in No Smoking areas because it gives off smoke. Not because I might be accused of being a terrorist but because it gives of a vapor.

How is it any different to the real thing if you can draw on one and blow out a cloud of chemicals? Will this event see them banned too?

I guess this depends on what harmful chemicals are in the vapor.

I can't imagine that the E cigarette is giving out plumes of noxious gases,does anybody know what the vapor contains?

I can't imagine that the E cigarette is giving out plumes of noxious gases,does anybody know what the vapor contains?

According to the BBC website it contains: Propylene Glycol, Nicotine, Water and Flavorings.

To my way of looking at it I am exposing people to at least Nicotine, that cant be good can it? I am a considerate smoker BTW!

According to the BBC website it contains: Propylene Glycol, Nicotine, Water and Flavorings.

To my way of looking at it I am exposing people to at least Nicotine, that cant be good can it? I am a considerate smoker BTW!

I think the Propylene Glycol is the stuff they use in fake smoke machines,used for stage effects etc,as far is I know that is not toxic.

Manx National Heritage use this stuff in smoke machines at some of their sites for effect.

Archived