Pure Ammonia For Cycling A Fish Tank

dooahhdoo

Hi,

I have a new fish tank and would like to try fishless cycling. Do we have any fishy people on here who know where to buy ammonia locally? It needs to be just ammonia with no other ingredients like perfume etc.

Ebay does have it but I would prefer to buy it locally instead of paying £7 P&P for a £2 item.

Thanks.

If you've a tank set up with a filter running, just put some food tablets in there and let them decay - take them out when they get manky & replace. Do that for 2 -3 weeks and there should be enough bacteria in the filter. Do a water change and then stock very lightly at the outset - should be OK

Frozen prawn left in the tank to decay will also do the same job. What type of tank are you setting up? Fresh or Salty?

Freshwater fish.

I have never done this before so trying to learn whats best before I stock the tank.

How long will the prawn method take?

To be honest I couldn't tell you, google might be the best bet for that. I know it's quite a common method of kick-starting a new tank in the salty world and should be the same for freshwater, I prefer not to put chemicals near my tank (even if it is pure ammonia) so if I was starting from scratch again I'd use this method.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby......

ETA: This should help: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium/fishless-cycling-old-shrimp-question-66645/

Archived