I Won't Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar

pongo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I look at taking on a new employee, especially younger ones, it might sound a bit strange but I always try to watch them when they walk a little distance, for example from their car to the building.

No that doesn't sound at all strange.

When I look at taking on a new employee, especially younger ones, it might sound a bit strange but I always try to watch them when they walk a little distance, for example from their car to the building.

No that doesn't sound at all strange.

Oh dear, I left myself open for that one! whistling.gif

Would you hire an engineer that often made basic mathematical errors?

Likewise with spelling. If you incorrectly spell words or can't communicate correctly, then it's little wonder that you might struggle to find a job that requires these things!

Often managers or employers, who will be closely working with their candidates, simply want to know that they will be able to connect with their employees, be on the same wavelength. If the hirer has an eye for detail and extends that to his or her writing then they will be on the lookout for others that do the same.

I have personal experience of newly hired, highly 'qualified' people (multiple degrees, etc.) who, at the same time, could barely string a sentence together in his daily emails and, for example, whiteboarding sessions. After a period of time it soon emerged that he was way out of his depth, and ended up doing quite a bit of damage during his tenure.

I know that some of my grammar is sloppy and inconsistent, but I'm always on the lookout to improve it. I extend that to life in general; sometimes I go about things the wrong way, but I always consider myself a student, ready to learn how to do things better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived