Big Wheel

Slim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just love the impromptu atmosphere of the Sunday. Laid back, yet buzzy :)

Edited to add:-

Sorry I missed your gig{s}, there was just so much to see. Even if you were there for every second, you could not see all the acts.

Congratulations to the organisers and performers.

..that's better - best to see acts you've never seen before than just subject yourself to something you'll see fairly readily on the island...

Think I'm beginning to suffer from "festival blues".. after a few days you get used to thinking you could nip up to Laxey and see a load of live acts and a stonking atmosphere...

It's the first time I'd played the blues festival this year and although I'd played 3 gigs in total, truth be told, I think I enjoyed the impromptu gig today the most.  :)

its the first time i played at the blues festival too, i was properly nervous, did anyone happen to catch my band playing, dirty frank, if any1 did, please do tell me what u thought of us

Meh, gutted i missed it this year. Sounds like the best atmosphere up there this year from all the reports i have had. From what I've been told and the comments on here Back Door Slam were the darlings of the festival, will have to catch them when i'm back over. Do they have a website with giglist on it?

Did anybody catch Psillobian, were they any good?

Psillobian and Dirty Frank were very good, in fact everyone there gave an excellent performance, from Steve Leonard on, even the hastily formed Vanguards of Justice.

Stonechase really got the audience going, kickstarted with a couple of Beatles songs. It's amazing how that music still has so much power.

In the evening the Shedmen (or was it the alcohol?) really got the place buzzing.

It was a learning experience for the organisers down there - we made a few mistakes and we debate tomorrow whether to do it again next year.

Any opinions?

It's definately a worthwhile addition, but I'd add some security. The shore had bouncers, who kept kids with bottles of cider out etc. 15 year olds boasting on manxbands that they were getting served in there without ID can't help either can it?

I didn't go due to a previous commitment, but I dropped a few mates off and collected them late on the Sat night and my only suggestion would be to try and get the roads closed. Driving around down there was an absolute nightmare with cars parked all over the place, other cars trying to get through and massive throngs of people walking and standing on the road with no real appreciation for the fact that they'll generally come off second best to a ton of car hitting them at any speed.

No idea how transport could be organised better as people do need to get to Laxey somehow but it was pretty crazy.

It's definately a worthwhile addition, but I'd add some security. The shore had bouncers, who kept kids with bottles of cider out etc. 15 year olds boasting on manxbands that they were getting served in there without ID can't help either can it?

We had security, but had no control of the large number of kids using the field and surrounding areas. Pretty sure no (or very very few)- underage drinkers were served in the tent (we caught a few on Friday and took the drinks off them) - but lots brought drink in as we found when we cleared up.

Having said that, we had absolutely no trouble at all - unlike somewhere that had lots of security.

But we recognise that it is an area that needs more input if we do it again.

We had security, but had no control of the large number of kids using the field and surrounding areas.  Pretty sure no (or very very few)- underage drinkers were served in the tent (we caught a few on Friday and took the drinks off them) - but lots brought drink in as we found when we cleared up.

Having said that, we had absolutely no trouble at all - unlike somewhere that had lots of security.

I think you had security on the tent door but not the entrance to the club. I suppose it's a harder trick than the shore car park which had a small entrance.

I've not really got any complaints about the indy tent, I quite enjoyed the different vibes in each tent. I didn't spend as much time in the indy tent as the others because it seemed to have more of a yoof crowd, but thats my taste rather than any organisational thing.

Didn't see any trouble all weekend either, perhaps I just got lucky?

You could charge everyone, it was a great weekend. Kids will be kids and they will get drunk and be silly - we were all young once, like DTCBB says, there wasn't any trouble - leave them to it.

I'm so inspired now, does anyone need a flute player in their band???

Archived