Mission To Mars

Blade Runner

They did it! They have landed the Curiosity Rover on Mars successfully and once they do systems checks they will be on their way. Good news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19144464

What do you think about the chance of finding signs of life either past or present during the mission?

What do you think about landing a nuclear powered device, with star trek laser blasters on an unmolested planet?

What do you think about spending 2.5-3 Billion dollars on something like this when people are starving in the world?

I think they will find signs of life and we will have manned missions there by around 2035.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed watching the landing, worth getting up at 6am for :)

Ace seeing those first pictures live too, quite an achievement.

What do you think about the chance of finding signs of life either past or present during the mission?

What do you think about landing a nuclear powered device, with star trek laser blasters on an unmolested planet?

What do you think about spending 2.5-3 Billion dollars on something like this when people are starving in the world?

1 Not much chance of current life, but hopefully some evidence of life in the past.

2 I think it rules that we're putting rovers on Mars.

3 I think that those two things are not connected.

Projects like this have very valuable spin-offs.

Technology advances inexorably and inevitably. However change the parameters to target something very different from, say, vulgar profit and throw $millions of government funding at it's R&D and you have opportunities for technological quantum leaps instead of the daily grind.

I think it's amazing that we can do things like this. Who knows what we'll learn from this mission.

I firmly believe they will find signs of previous life there, maybe present life in some microscopic bacterial form - who knows!

Space is full of radiation, I'm sure one little plutonium battery isn't going to make much difference. Again, I think they need to push forward with this kind of technology if they ever want to do deep space manned missions (unless someone figures out FTL drives, or how to open wormholes).

As for the whole 'is it worth the cost?' thing, yes absolutely. We need to push ourselves to the limits of our ability & understanding to continue to grow and further our knowledge.

As for the whole 'is it worth the cost?' thing, yes absolutely. We need to push ourselves to the limits of our ability & understanding to continue to grow and further our knowledge.

Well said....and the spin off tech that comes from the boundaries being pushed filters down to commercial use in due course.....

It's worse that India are planning a Mars mission (as well as arming themselves with hitech) when so many of their country persons are on the poverty line

Does the UK still make some sort of payment every year to India? Somewhere in the region of £100m.

Or did Lord Snooty put a stop to that.

Past life, maybe. Read an article about ''Mantel-collapse''. The theory that during volcanic activity, the amount of magma/lava spewed-out weighed so much that it caused the mantel to collapse in on itself. The flow of lava from beneath the surface was so great that it under-mines the surface above.

It is completely possible that intelligent life, as advanced as our own (sic!) developed on Mars, and here on Earth too, aeons ago and was entirely wiped-out, leaving not a trace, many times over. Maybe it'll happen to us and a million years from now, the archaeologists of the future will puzzle over some anomalies as they do now, an'that.

NASA have reached Mars http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20120806.html, the IOM Space Mission has reached Jurby.

It's a fantastic achievement to get there intact with such a large vehicle (Mars not Jurby) and it will be fascinating to see what, if any life forms will be found (again Mars not Jurby).

Archived