Gmail Two-Step Authentication, Won't Accept Iom Number

Hi there,

Has anyone got Gmail's two-step authentication working with an IOM mobile number? With an IOM mobile number it simply won't allow me to proceed to the next step because the 'send code' button remains greyed out.

As soon as I put a UK mobile number in, the 'send code' button activates.

I'm using the UK +44 option, there's no Isle of Man option in there. It just doesn't seem to like any IOM number at all.

Cheers!

I've tried every combination I can think of with '44' and '07' or just leaving the '44' off completely as it's already the UK country code, no dice.

I put my brother's UK mobile number in, the green arrow appears next to the number entry box and 'send code' becomes available.

Wouldn't work for me originally, but I got on in the end. From memory there's two versions of the validation page, one works one doesn't.

How does one land on the 'correct' page?

I just seem to get the same 'computer says no' every time.

How does one land on the 'correct' page?

According to me in this thread:

Oh, I just got it working. They've changed it slightly since I last tried.

If you add two factor now, select sms it has a new screen. Leave the flag as default, and enter your manxie number. You'll get an sms and you'll sign up for two factor. Now though you can't add a backup number, because that's the old screen. If you now switch to google authenticator though, it'll make your existing phone you entered in step 1 the backup. Mad, but it works.

Can't try it now as I can't get to that page as I already have two factor.

Splendid, that's worked a treat.

Cheers Slim, and sorry I didn't realise there was an existing thread smile.png

No worries, glad it worked. Deffo worth having, feel a lot safer with it on. Would like more sites to use openid now so I can just verify using my google auth.

Have fun setting up all those app specific passwords, once it's done it does become a lot less faff.

Yeah, the darker side of the cloud. It's a flaw in all these auth systems that are open to the mass market that you need a way of resetting accounts, retrieving accounts or dealing with lost passwords and tokens. And where you've got these legit sidesteps, they can be exploited.

The targeted determined hack can piece together identities and find the flaw. It's hard to keep this stuff secure even if you know what you're doing, have strong passwords and two factor.

Worrying.

Archived