Caley's The Bakers In Onchan To Close

dooahhdoo

Went in there for my lunch today and there is a big note on the window apologising that they are closing down. It said something about overheads and competition from supermarkets.

They did do nice pies though at 1 pound a hit :o

Oh and its Caleys not Cannells doh. Perhaps a moderator could edit the title for me please ?

(Edit completed - Obs.)

What I wouldn't do for a Batesons pie right now ---

Thats a scary thought.... :blink:

LOL! Don't fret, there's limits now on what I am able to do that would prevent anything too physical!

Thank god..the thought of you on a morally bankrupt pie hunt beggars belief!!

What a shame.

I used to go there years ago for their sandwiches. A bloomer cut in half with whatever meat you wanted, cheese, pickles. It was a hell of a job to finish one.

It was the real peppery taste of the pies that I liked.

But the best pies ever on the IOM were to had in Peel. You almost had to pre-order them. If you got in the shop after 10:30 you were out of luck. I'm talking about the shop opposite where the post office is.

I was disappointed when Quirks shut in Main Road Onchan some years ago.

Caleys kept on going. It is sad they are closing.

The only decent place you can get a decent home made pastie now is the bakers in Michael Street, Peel. I wonder how long they will hold out from the prefabricated floor sweepings that Ramsey Bakery imports to heat up.

(Also I was saddened when the fresh fish shop closed in Michael Street.)

:(

I was disappointed when Quirks shut in Main Road Onchan some years ago.

Caleys kept on going. It is sad they are closing.

Quite funny how things go full circle. Quirks closed because the demand for bread that kept longer than a few days made people buy ramsey bakery. Now everyones buying store baked bread that's not full of junk, almost like the bread Quirks used to make.

Now everyones buying store baked bread that's not full of junk

Hubby bought me a bread maker yesterday and have just made my first loaf of bread (haven't tried it yet as am waiting for it to cool down but it smells lovely).

Archived