Caley's The Bakers In Onchan To Close

dooahhdoo

Don't wait Minxie, slice it warm. Let the butter melt into the bread. How sexy is that.

Fresh bread is something that you take for granted.

Is this your first time minxie?

How good does it taste?

That's a real pity. As I've lived in Onchan all my life, and that's more years than I can remember never mind care to, I think that's the last of the old village that I knew as a boy, now going as well.

As someone already said, I'm suprrised they lasted so long. I've not been up there this week but usually 3 times a week I walk past a Mr B's, get in my car and drive back up to Caley's to get the cheese pasties.

I'll have to get their secret.

I know the Family well and went to school with some. I'll wish them well for the future and stop asking for stalies after 40 odd years ;)

Don't wait Minxie, slice it warm. Let the butter melt into the bread. How sexy is that.

Fresh bread is something that you take for granted.

Is this your first time minxie?

How good does it taste?

I did tuck into it when it was still a bit warm in the middle - nice crispy crust. I've not made bread myself before so it was quite exciting (yes I am sad and get excited over domestic appliances). The only thing is I'm so used to ready sliced stuff my slices were a bit wedge shaped :huh:

Pie shop in Peel opposite where the post office is now was called Carines

Used to go there for school dinner - mmm I ate all the pies.

There were just 2 sorts of hot food there

PIES

and

PASTIES

none of your fancy chicken korma slice or chicken and asparagus pasty.

The only other thinks they seemd to sell was a few cakes and a vast assortmnent of sweets and chocolates - in all a perfect lunchtime shop

Pie shop in Peel opposite where the post office is now was called Carines

Used to go there for school dinner - mmm I ate all the pies.

There were just 2 sorts of hot food there

PIES

and

PASTIES

none of your fancy chicken korma slice or chicken and asparagus pasty.

The only other thinks they seemd to sell was a few cakes and a vast assortmnent of sweets and chocolates - in all a perfect lunchtime shop

Way back in the 70's I used to go out with my big bruv delivering milk around Peel. We always went in there for breakie. Well that and swapping milk with the Downwards delivery driver (where is the good old D+B when you need it)

The guy who owned it looked 90 then. About 20 years later I went there to do a job, the guy still looked 90 but he was as strong as an ox. There were bags of flour in the way, he just threw them over his shoulder and put them over the other side of the kitchen.

You rang!!

You'll be looking for Max Power next B)

..and it is a shame Caleys is going.

Hey, how's it going. :)

Yeah it's sad we gotta close but things have changed a lot, the way ppl shop, bigger supermarkets selling everything under the sun, etc, so what chanch does that give smaller shops trying to make a living. :(

I've had to remove certain posts from this thread following a complaint.

Just a reminder of the board T&C folks:-

Please do not post personal information about any individual on the forum (including name, address, telephone/mobile numbers or e-mail addresses, photograph's or any other information that will identify an individual or user of this forum). Any such information will be deleted and the offender's user account suspended indefinitely.

Thanks.

Archived