R. I. P. Neil Armstrong

credente

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad news. He was one of a diminishing body of humans who have walked on the surface of another world. That shouldn't be.

But he had a good innings, though. And he was part of the defining moment of the second millenium.

His name will be remembered in a good way for a very long time.

Remarkable man - he could have milked the moon landing for the rest of his life, but rarely even gave interviews. Probably one of the most famous names in history, with so very little known about him apart from his 'one small step'

I always liked the following joke - it's probably made up, but I'd like to think that it wasn't. Hope no-one is offended by me including it in an 'RIP thread'

On July 20, 1969, commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first words after stepping on the moon, "That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", were televised to Earth and heard by millions. But just before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark:

"Good luck, Mr. Gorsky." Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled. On July 5, 1995, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

In 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex! You want sex?! You’ll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

RIP to a man who for a few short days had most of the world holding its breath.

A group of pioneers, heroes and adventurers passing away without replacements.

It just reminds me how amazing it all was and of the massive/huge amount of change the older generation have experienced in their (our) lifetimes. Will any other generation see such a rate of change - from steam locomotives to men walking beyond our planet?

A dedicated, humble man who steadfastly overcame great risks and technical challenges to achieve something quite awesome.

For all the politics of the space race it was one incredible technical achievement.

The world has lost a unique man. He inspired the world - I hope science will find another such challenge. What Curiousity is doing on Mars is close, but the pure humanity of the moon shot held the world.

Someone who earned the title of Hero unlike so many these days !

I did not have the opportunity to meet with Neil Armstrong but did have business dealings with Stuart Roosa (Apollo 14) and met socially with Dick Frank Scobie who died when the "Challenger" space shuttle exploded on launch.

I lived in Houston close by to NASA in the early 1980s running a shipping operation for shipowner Dimitri N Papalios and Roosa was introduced to me for business reasons...

Like Armstrong, they were very modest and unassuming and did not boast. In fact they were very calm and quiet although I managed to get Roosa wound up over a business deal because he was being "unworldly".

Dick Scobie was actually in training when I met him a few times socially....A business colleague had a secretary whose "ex" was a NASA executive and she invited astronauts and such to our business buffets.

They were not big men either...not tough looking...

Many times I saw people introduce Stuart Roosa with something like "This is Colonel Stu Roosa and he has been to the Moon!"....To which he would reply "But I've been to many other places as well"....(And he did not set foot on the Moon he was Command Module Pilot)...

Colonel Roosa died in 1994 of pancreatitis and is buried in Arlington...as is his wife...I wonder if Neil Armstrong will be buried in Arlington? ie state funeral?

I think I saw a good biography of Neil Armstrong on You-Tube....

BTW "Lloyd George knew my father. My father knew Lloyd George"

I did not have the opportunity to meet with Neil Armstrong but did have business dealings...

I lived in Houston close by to NASA in the early 1980s running a shipping operation....

Damn I really wanted you to say you beat Neil Armstrong to the moon and were actually there in 68'

We were newly married and watched the whole thing on a half dead b&w TV someone had donated to us. We used to have to slap it on the top with a shoe when it went into spasms. We'll never forget 'being there' when it happened. A first to beat all firsts.

I did not have the opportunity to meet with Neil Armstrong but did have business dealings...

I lived in Houston close by to NASA in the early 1980s running a shipping operation....

Damn I really wanted you to say you beat Neil Armstrong to the moon and were actually there in 68'

And he wrote a book about it.

RIP Mr Armstrong; great men are great because they just are, not because they say they are.

Archived