Summerland On Radio 4

kevster

I second that, Patrick.

irishone, your interview and words on BBC Radio 4 came over very well and I thought very touching.

The Island must not forget what happened on that dreadful night, and there needs to be a proper memorial.

If you ever come over again I am sure that there are people on the Island and on this forum who will be pleased to meet you.

• Like 1

I second that, Patrick.

irishone, your interview and words on BBC Radio 4 came over very well and I thought very touching.

The Island must not forget what happened on that dreadful night, and there needs to be a proper memorial.

If you ever come over again I am sure that there are people on the Island and on this forum who will be pleased to meet you.

You can't imagine how much it means to me to hear you say that! Although I was a child when it happened, I have very clear memories of it all and I remember the kindness of the local people and the dedicated nursing staff in Nobles.I hope to make a return visit soon, in my own time and to have the opportunity to explore the Island, it sounds absolutely fascinating, I love myths and legend and the scenery is beautiful.Maybe some day in the not too distant future there will be a new memorial and I will get a chance to come and see it.Perhaps if I am living and spared to next year I will get over for the 40th Anniversary.

I can assure you Irishone that there are many, many people on this Island that care about you and what happened that awful night. As a Manx person I am ashamed that there is no decent memorial to those who were affected by, or who lost their lives or loved ones in this tragedy. The Steve Hislop statue and memorial garden that looks out over the Summerland site is far more beautiful than the pathetic stone hidden away in a tiny garden at the foot of Summerhill. I don't know what it is about the tragedy but I suspect it's something to do with a feeling that perhaps it could have been avoided and a perception that there are questions left unanswered. I was very touched by your interview in the documentary, and if we'd known you were coming I'm sure you'd have felt more welcomed. Perhaps if and when our authorities are shamed or embarrassed into erecting a decent and fitting memorial, the Manx people will stand with you next time and we'll all take a few moments to remember.

• Like 1

I can assure you Irishone that there are many, many people on this Island that care about you and what happened that awful night. As a Manx person I am ashamed that there is no decent memorial to those who were affected by, or who lost their lives or loved ones in this tragedy. The Steve Hislop statue and memorial garden that looks out over the Summerland site is far more beautiful than the pathetic stone hidden away in a tiny garden at the foot of Summerhill. I don't know what it is about the tragedy but I suspect it's something to do with a feeling that perhaps it could have been avoided and a perception that there are questions left unanswered. I was very touched by your interview in the documentary, and if we'd known you were coming I'm sure you'd have felt more welcomed. Perhaps if and when our authorities are shamed or embarrassed into erecting a decent and fitting memorial, the Manx people will stand with you next time and we'll all take a few moments to remember.

Thank you so much ( when I first heard about the Documentary I had thought that there would be local involvement and that I would have a chance to chat to locals and perhaps meet some people who had memories of it all, I was absolutely terrified to be returning, I have had a terrible fear of travelling which really set in, in adult-hood, I hadn't been in a plane in 30 years!! However this trip gave me my confidence back and I have to say even though I was only there a few hours (I travelled over and arrived just before lunch and was home again by 4) by the time I was ready to go back to the airport the Island had started to feel like home and I was really sad to go! You are right when you said that there is something about the tragedy. When I was a child it was little talked about and I actually felt ashamed for some reason, as if it was my fault.I was ashamed of my scars which set me apart from other children, my legs could be hidden by trousers but the one on the back of my right hand is very noticeable as there is a thick line across my wrist and I'm often asked what happened.As you can imagine it wrecked my confidence.I have never tried to delve further into the facts surrounding the fire, I have just got on with life the best I could, but when my dad died I had a series of dreams in which I recalled Summerland in great detail and a recurrence of sleep-walking episodes and night-mares I had suffered as a child and have had on and off in times of stress through my adult life, but these were so bad I had to resort to medication to help control the panic attacks.I felt the only way to try and achieve some closure on the whole thing was to try and find out exactly what happened.I never knew about the memorial service in 1998 when the stone was laid or I would have been there, this may sound strange but I would like to have re-visited Summerland before it was demolished as I think that it is only when you face your fears that you can actually lay them to rest.However it was only last July when I got the internet and did a bit of research and was able to find out bits and pieces and realised it was too late and the building was no more!! Hopefully one day there will be a new memorial and we will all be able to stand together and remember that tragic night.It would be wonderful if there was a lovely new building in its place, the waste-ground that is left spoils the beautiful sea-front, hopefully something will be done about it soon!!

I was 15 when Summerland burned down. I watched it all from the road above, thinking it was lucky we'd decided to go to the stock car racing that night and not to Summerland. I didn't really understand the enormity of what was happening below us; that people were dying in horrific circumstances.

As a local lad we used to sneak in without paying and I think this is why the fire doors may have been locked.

If you're on Facebook then Chris Mannion was the organist at Summerland - https://www.facebook.com/christopher.mannion

I was 15 when Summerland burned down. I watched it all from the road above, thinking it was lucky we'd decided to go to the stock car racing that night and not to Summerland. I didn't really understand the enormity of what was happening below us; that people were dying in horrific circumstances.

As a local lad we used to sneak in without paying and I think this is why the fire doors may have been locked.

If you're on Facebook then Chris Mannion was the organist at Summerland - https://www.facebook...stopher.mannion

I am going to look him up!!

If you're on Facebook then Chris Mannion was the organist at Summerland - https://www.facebook...stopher.mannion

My family didn't intend to go that night either! The rain and a chance meeting with relatives were what led us to be in the wrong place at the wrong time! If my dad had chosen to heed the message saying not to panic it was only a chip-pan fire he mightn't have taken the decision to lead us down from the top floor and we would all have perished.

I got in touch with Chris, thanks for the link, much appreciated!

Listened to it and it twas crap.

Any programme on Summerland is better than no programme at all.

The perspective of Ruth McQuillan was new. Perhaps we should do what the Isle of Man seems to be good at and say, blame her for being there, or just say tough luck get on with your life.

The broadcast made the Manx Radio news and is on BBC Listen Again here.

That's just about the height of it, I am no further forward that is for sure!

Irishone! I was sorry to hear that you have had so much trauma over the Summerland Fire. I have a copy of the original 'Report of The Summerland Fire Commission which was carried out to inquire into, and report on, all the circumstances of, and leading up to the fire'.

It may not be what you want to read although interesting, it does not tell the full story and large parts (which I know as fact) were never put into this report.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Irishone! I was sorry to hear that you have had so much trauma over the Summerland Fire. I have a copy of the original 'Report of The Summerland Fire Commission which was carried out to inquire into, and report on, all the circumstances of, and leading up to the fire'.

It may not be what you want to read although interesting, it does not tell the full story and large parts (which I know as fact) were never put into this report.

I would really like to read it-thanks so much, its so important to me to find all the missing links.Any other information you have will also be gratefully received.I just saw your post today as I was browsing so sorry for the delay in responding!!

I was not born at the time but listened to the documentary as I was interested in what had happened. Although none of my family were in Summerland at the time a few family members attended the scene as part of the Civil Defence. They also took pieces away for analysis in the UK as part of the investigation.

I was dissappointed that the documentary seemed to be more about blaming than an actual review of what happened. It would also seem that the views of irishone may have been slightly misrepresented or taken out of context.

I have contacted an MHK with regards to looking at a proper memorial and service of remembrance and would recommend that others do the same. That way maybe we can get over this apparent lack of care and interest from the Manx people.

• Like 1

I was not born at the time but listened to the documentary as I was interested in what had happened. Although none of my family were in Summerland at the time a few family members attended the scene as part of the Civil Defence. They also took pieces away for analysis in the UK as part of the investigation.

I was dissappointed that the documentary seemed to be more about blaming than an actual review of what happened. It would also seem that the views of irishone may have been slightly misrepresented or taken out of context.

I have contacted an MHK with regards to looking at a proper memorial and service of remembrance and would recommend that others do the same. That way maybe we can get over this apparent lack of care and interest from the Manx people.

I was very interested to read your comment above, I am unable to listen to the documentary so have been relying on feedback to get the gist of it!! I really hope that we can have a proper memorial and a service of remembrance. Far from thinking that the Manx are uncaring and disinterested, I have been over-whelmed by their well wishes and support!!

• 4 weeks later...