Hillsborough Report Released

When Skies Are Grey

WTF. You are a complete biff.

The 'rowdy just in time brigade' as you so eloquently put it, arrived at the ground just before kick off due, now here comes a fact WTF, there were major tailbacks due to roadworks on the motorway to Sheffield. So most coaches turned up at kick off time.

You also say that the events 'were not entirely the fault of the authorities' erm where you been this last week. Can you please tell me and the families of the 96 which are the 'grey areas'. An independent panel of over 400,000 documents scrutinised, a public apology from the present PM and some biff who has never been to a footy match knows better.

It is biffs like you who will never come to understand that 96 innocent people went to watch a game of footy and never came home.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...it wasn't just police and/or the fans that need looking at when it comes down to responsibillity.

The fans weren't responsible, they were the victims

i agree that the fans ended up victims, but the fans also provided the weight, totally unintentionally, to produce the crush. nobody anywhere, the same would happen today, stood up and took any responsibillity. it was just a buck passing operation. going back to Thommo's post highlighting other factors, which i hadn't thought about, adds more people with faults to their name who want to be blameless. and Gizo points out late coaches because of roadworks, no doubt the roadworks were there the day before but no one thought to legislate for it. i can't see why it is the police that are getting all the flack when it isn't just them that made mistakes. and when i say them, i don't mean the rank and file uniforms on the ground just taking orders through a radio who didn't know the big picture, i mean the ones in charge giving the orders. looking at it again it seems there were many factors that contributed to the problem and the fans may not have been as culpable is i thought, but the police are the only ones anybody wants to see take the blame for it. it isn't like they arranged the fixture in a possibly unsafe ground and were responsible for the roadworks.

@ Thommo, you say the ground hadn't passed a safety inspection, had it failed one?? how did it compare to the rest of the stadiums inspection records at the time? was it ever inspected after 78? who is that down to that won't have wanted any blame?? i'm going to guess that will end up looking like the badly/un flagged rope accross the road at QB which no-one seems to have been responsible for ( well liable for anyway )

Not sure to be honest WTF but the fact is the game should have been delayed to allow the fans to be filtered in. A lot of people can take blame for this but the fans aren't one of those people.

i suppose a whole lot of things should have been different, IF the latest report is found to hold up then yes, some people should be giving the answers now that they should have been giving at the time.

I agree with Gladys in that we forget the context. Obviously there were police failings, but why were there so many police there in the first place? People got crushed becasue they were caged in, so why were they caged in?

To say now it was all the fault of the police and the fans take no responsibilty is rubbish. The police were only reacting (badly) to a situation brought about by the fans in the first place

Would a similar thing have happenned at a rugby match? No, people would have simply stepped onto the field becuase they arent caged in because they arent animals.

The following cover up was unforgiveable but the fans should take some responsibilty for the situation developing in the first place.

(when I say fans I dont mean liverpool supports alone, but the state of football in general)

I have to admit that I was pretty much taken in by the initial reports of crowd behaviour being responsible, I think that most of the country was to some extent. I also couldn't understand why the families were so persistent in their search for what they were calling justice.

I am so glad that they did persevere, as time went on and more information was trickled out, it became obvious that the police had blundered, and even worse, tried to cover it up.

Crowd control is not an easy job but people do depend on the likes of the police to ensure their safety. Crowds do not have a single mind of their own, they are always led and it was the police who led them on this occasion!

MaxPower I was the same as you regarding being misled by initial reports. I was a child when it happened and also sheltered from the football experiences of England and further afield, just living here. Any football match here involved standing round a field!

It was inconceivable that people were treated like that in the 80s, but they were and it was a tragedy waiting to happen at many grounds.

Also these days we are much more cynical about the police and their motives, I understand back then many more people took them at their word which is why the lies were so easy to believe.

• 2 years later...

Quite an astonishing day at the Hillsborough Inquest today. Match commander and Chief Super David Duckenfield (thoroughly detested on Merseyside for his lies) apologises and admits to the lies also yesterday when he admitted he wasn't up for the job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-31821211

I know and don't understand why Hillsborough still splits opinions but today this is a seminal moment in the inquest to the 96.

(its a pity it's not a criminal court)

Archived