Sad Day For Manchester

Matilda33

I'm inclined to agree. However do not confuse grief with sorrow. Also signing a book of condolence for example is a way of showing respect and gratitude rather than grief.

And the book will be treasured by the family.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been far to close to the events in Manchester than I would ever wish I would comment that the family and friends of the people involved have not courted the media nor sort mass grieving from anyone.

The media attention in this case comes from the shocking nature of the events on that day which took two lives (one of which was a close friend of mine). The community in which this took place seem to be genuinely shocked and upset by the events and if they want to pay their respects to the two people who were killed then that if fine and no one should stop them or criticise them for it.

I hope that no-one has to experience such an awful series of events to understand this.

Rather than trying to crudely transform Mother Teresa into something inhuman I think it is better to see her as a fundamentalist,

You're right. For any truly sensible discussion it is better. But it is very easy with people who cause so much pain and suffering and think it is a good thing to demonise them and enjoy doing so.

Having been far to close to the events in Manchester than I would ever wish I would comment that the family and friends of the people involved have not courted the media nor sort mass grieving from anyone.

Nobody would think they had at all.
The media attention in this case comes from the shocking nature of the events on that day which took two lives (one of which was a close friend of mine). The community in which this took place seem to be genuinely shocked and upset by the events and if they want to pay their respects to the two people who were killed then that if fine and no one should stop them or criticise them for it.
The media attention does partly depend on them being police officers to whatever degree.

As to criticism, it depends how such people conduct themselves afterwards. A great deal of importance should not be attached to their post such that when people challenge (or are thought to challenge) their view they become incensed.

Nobody would think they had at all.
The media attention does partly depend on them being police officers to whatever degree.

As to criticism, it depends how such people conduct themselves afterwards. A great deal of importance should not be attached to their post such that when people challenge (or are thought to challenge) their view they become incensed.

LDV - Okay, so the fact that they are Police Officers does influence the level of media interest but (and I am now asking you to put aside your personal views) a lot of people have been shocked that someone would kill any Police Officer. To the majority of the population the Police are there to protect the community (again for a moment but aside your personal views) and such an act sends shock waves throught the community,

I have visited the scene to pay my respects to my friend and have personally seen members of that community who are frightened that someone living amongst them could kill two people in cold blood and on their doorstep.

I became incensed with you as you could not put aside your own political views in relation to this. You could simply have ignored this thread or have posted your condolences to the family and discussed your views elsewhere.

I agree with what you say. I said earlier though that what prompted my comment about deservedness was a previous poster and I thought it was 'safe' to do this. Although everything I have posted is what I think.

I wouldn't have posted my condolescence, however. I have explained why. If I care enough (which isn't to say I do not care at all) then I would have done something meaningful.

I agree with what you say. I said earlier though that what prompted my comment about deservedness was a previous poster and I thought it was 'safe' to do this. Although everything I have posted is what I think.

I wouldn't have posted my condolescence, however. I have explained why. If I care enough (which isn't to say I do not care at all) then I would have done something meaningful.

Perhaps then we can now leave the politics out of this thread and allow it to remain a comment on what was a sad and shocking day for families, friends and work colleagues of those involved.

Police or non police - the idea that someone could deliberately ring a person, ask them to come round, and kill them in cold blood for no reason is beyond comprehension to most people. It is not the same emotions as those expressed for Princess Diana, this is disgust, dismay and shock that humans can behave that way. And that is the way we should feel about any act of violence like this.....orherwise we really are in trouble. It is not political. This is human behaviour in the raw and it is scary.

I didn't know either of the victims, I don't know the families, but I feel desperately sorry for two women who now cannot fulfil their potential, and their families who have to find their way through this pain. Simple as that.

Police or non police - the idea that someone could deliberately ring a person, ask them to come round, and kill them in cold blood for no reason is beyond comprehension to most people. It is not the same emotions as those expressed for Princess Diana, this is disgust, dismay and shock that humans can behave that way. And that is the way we should feel about any act of violence like this.....orherwise we really are in trouble. It is not political. This is human behaviour in the raw and it is scary.

I didn't know either of the victims, I don't know the families, but I feel desperately sorry for two women who now cannot fulfil their potential, and their families who have to find their way through this pain. Simple as that.

I am pleased to read this!

• 5 months later...

The monster is on trial at the moment. They have serious police everywhere around the court, I walked past on Friday, there's snipers and robocop's with proper guns. It was quite scary. According to a source in Preston he has so many prices on his head that they're spending 60k a week on security, he has several armoured vehicles plus helicopters taking him to and from court. He is hated by big gangsters and has killed police.....what is to protect? If I was the judge I'd let him off "you're a free man, good luck" I made a point of remembering Fiona bone, he is monster that is all.

I am pleased that he finally pleaded guilty to the murder of the two police officers. I hope that it means that the family will not have to repeatedly hear the details of the matter.

I hope that is the end of the matter as far as I am concerned too.

Why would that be good for you?. Just wondering.

Archived