Old Douglas Street Map

IOMRS97

Francis strikes again laugh.png

this any use ?

http://www.isle-of-m...t1834/index.htm

Thanks for the link but it's about 100 years too early. I'm working on a book of old photos and just need to confirm some locations which have now disappeared. They range from early 20s onward - most I know but odd ones are possibly wrongly captioned. Even Stuart Slack's book doesn't fill in the gaps. Probably anything from about 1900-1960 would do, possibly a bit earlier as a lot of old Douglas didn't change for many years - or so my memory says.

Anybody got an old street map of Douglas I can buy or borrow? Needs to be pre 1970s to include streets subsequently demolished around Wellington Square area.

I think I have a couple at home (in the old visitors guides), but I am away for another 10 days. Let me know if you still need something then.

the 1864-8 mapping was on a 1:500 scale O/S sheets XIII-8-22 covers the south part to just north of Well Road

sheet XIII-8-17 covers the bit north of this to just south of castle mona

both sheets are available at Manx Museuam (I've also put 8-17 on my latest CD Rom - contact me via ManxNoteBook - could add 8-22 as well as I've had my copy digitised)

there were however changes due to the Loch prom and then the widening of all the proms in mid 1930's - there was some updates to the 1860's map done in 1890s but think only to the 6" to a mile map (again check Museum) - the current mapping was based I think on aerial photos and possibly applied piecemeal until a complete revision to give current digital mappaing

Had a look on ManxNoteBook but I don't see the map(s) I need. I should remember the streets but not clearly enough for what I am trying to do which is verify locations in old photos. I'm trying to avoid a trip into Douglas if at all possible so the museum is an absolute last resort.

the large images are not online but on my CD Rom version (I think this is made clear in many places) - the CD costs £8 and helps defray some of the costs as I don't have any adverts - you can see the level of detail on these plans at http://www.manxnotebook.com/towns/douglas/harrs_pm.htm

ETA: I've just put up an index to those 1:500 maps (dating c.1865) that I have - http://www.manxnotebook.com//towns/douglas/os_plan/do_idx.htm

Had a look on ManxNoteBook but I don't see the map(s) I need. I should remember the streets but not clearly enough for what I am trying to do which is verify locations in old photos. I'm trying to avoid a trip into Douglas if at all possible so the museum is an absolute last resort.

google streetview :lol:

Anybody got an old street map of Douglas I can buy or borrow? Needs to be pre 1970s to include streets subsequently demolished around Wellington Square area.

I think it will need to be a bit before 1970's. I looked at one with St Barnabas still on, yet Wellington Square had already gone.post-30321-0-21382300-1349347558_thumb.jpg

Archived