Gatwick Route By Easyjet

Manx1Bloke

ATC hours are an absolute statute so yes ATC closing was mandatory

was it Ronaldsway's opening hours coming to a close or an airways issue?
Not sure. I wasn't on the aircraft but a friend was. What he said was that air traffic control had refused permission to fly. This seems strange as I would have thought that they wouldn't start boarding if there was no permission in the first place??

Or is it just an excuse so that they can blame everything on the ATC?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was staff duty hours which cannot in the case of ATC controllers be exceeded ( I am reliably informed), presumably easy thought they could get out before the duty hours became an issue.

Thanks asitis. I think air traffic controller's hours can't go into discretion (a limited extra maximum for unusual circumstances) unlike aircrew hours which can.

Edit: Having an airport that closes at the end of the working day (and therefore planning for ATC, security & fire cover to be manned to normally work with these hours) is part of living on a small island. You just have to accept it. I think cancelling a flight because this time was up is a completely different issue to an airline cancelling for their operational reasons.

Not sure. I wasn't on the aircraft but a friend was. What he said was that air traffic control had refused permission to fly. This seems strange as I would have thought that they wouldn't start boarding if there was no permission in the first place??

Or is it just an excuse so that they can blame everything on the ATC?

The flight was already 6 hours late, and the original reason was some sort of technical problem which needed an engineer bringing from Gatwick to resolve, so they were already liable for EU261 compensation to all passengers. However, presumably the airline were keen to get the plane and crew back to their base without an overnight stay,and to avoid Liverpool being an aircraft short for the start of their Saturday flying programme. That said, after hanging around for 6 hours, they must have been aware that the curfew was about to kick in. A bit unfortunate, but if their own flight from Gatwick (with the engineer onboard) hadn't been two hours late, they'd have got out, with ease

Thanks asitis. I think air traffic controller's hours can't go into discretion (a limited extra maximum for unusual circumstances) unlike aircrew hours which can.

Edit: Having an airport that closes at the end of the working day (and therefore planning for ATC, security & fire cover to be manned to normally work with these hours) is part of living on a small island. You just have to accept it. I think cancelling a flight because this time was up is a completely different issue to an airline cancelling for their operational reasons.

Surprised the airport couldn't be a bit more flexible and get in extra staff to cover things running a bit late. If that's really what happened. And I don't really get the whole thing about the airport having to close at night. Surely if you buy a house near an airport you just deal with it. The same as buying a house next to the TT.

I had family waiting and they were told it was a bird strike as it came in the land at Ronaldsway. When it got to 10.30pm I thought to myself it was likely going nowhere. It does seem odd that nobody was talking to each other as it boarded. Plane crew, airport staff, ATC are they not in contact as a matter of routine?

Somebody must have know they were coming to end of shift. Did they just sit and watch it board and then when the pilot said they were ready for off, "Er, sorry, no you're not but we are."

Its worth pointing out that from September we are back to 2 returns a day with easyJet to Gatwick and for most dates its between £65 and £70 return.

The exceptions pricewise are Christmas/New Year and half term holiday peaks.

However no IOM flights are loaded after 25th March, so maybe someone is looking at it.

Archived