Decriminalise Drug Use, Say Experts After Six-Year Study

Amadeus

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uruguay gets it:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/aug/01/uruguay-first-legal-marijuana-market

Uruguay votes to create world's first national legal marijuana market

Legislators in the ruling coalition said putting the government at the centre of a legal marijuana industry is worth trying because the global war on drugs had been a costly and bloody failure, and displacing illegal dealers through licensed marijuana sales could save money and lives.

Despite some users obviously thinking I'm a dopehead (someone actually reported my above post. smile.png ) I'm actually against drugs, or at least not really for them. Smoke away if it makes you happy but it's not for me. I've even given up cigarettes and hardly ever drink any alcohol.

But: any individual with half a brain cell should be able to realise that this "War on drugs" is a massive failure. It cost billions and has achieved nothing. While it's perfectly acceptable to get shitfaced in a pub and crawl home, get caught with a tiny amount of dope and you end up with a criminal record that could impact your life, career, etc, for a long time. Makes zero sense, especially as the risks of alcohol abuse are far higher than those of dope.

So, well done Uruguay for showing some brains and doing the right thing.

I maintain my point that the IOM would have a massive opportunity here to earn more money than even the most moronic MHK could ever spend. Sadly, not even in twenty years will they consider it, of that I am almost certain. While it's completely acceptable for the minister in charge of the police to get shitfaced and throw up on a bus, it's unthinkable to allow the legal use of a substance with far fewer risks. Makes no sense at all but that's the way it is.

I have to say, hats off to Uruguay and I'm sure that there's going to be problems over the next few years in one way or another, but this is ground breaking stuff and whether people think it's good, bad or indifferent, they've had the umpf to give it a go.

I hope it's a success and that people do not suffer and that it's worked out well in the end for Uruguay.

Keep the info coming Amadeus... nice one

Here is how to do it.

Issue licences to resellers, up to a maximum of 10, at a cost of £2500 per year.

Issue 2 types of growing licence. The first, for commercial cannabis, only 5 or so, with a groundspace restriction and a very high cost, maybe £5000 per year. The second an individual growing licence. This should allow a maximum floor space of maybe 1.5m squared, or a maximum light output of 600w. There should be as many licences available as people want them, although you should be of good character to apply. Cost £250 per year. Owners of these licences can sell their excess, but only to a licenced reseller, with a 10% cut for tax. Any unlicenced selling would result in large fine,or long community order, confiscation of equipment and ban for growing or buying.

Issue 2 types of purchasing licence. One for locals, £100 per year, with restrictions, such as reselling, smoking in a silly place or giving to minors resulting in large fines etc. And one for tourists, £250 per year, subject to criminal records check, and possibly a futher deposit, returned when you leave the island without any pot.

The cannabis should be rated on a 3 point scale, mild, mid and strong, and priced accordingly. Government gets the money from all the licences, plus 10% on all sales.

Just my opinion like.

Any exportation should be punished heavily.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is how to do it.

Issue licences to resellers, up to a maximum of 10, at a cost of £2500 per year.

Issue 2 types of growing licence. The first, for commercial cannabis, only 5 or so, with a groundspace restriction and a very high cost, maybe £5000 per year. The second an individual growing licence. This should allow a maximum floor space of maybe 1.5m squared, or a maximum light output of 600w. There should be as many licences available as people want them, although you should be of good character to apply. Cost £250 per year. Owners of these licences can sell their excess, but only to a licenced reseller, with a 10% cut for tax. Any unlicenced selling would result in large fine,or long community order, confiscation of equipment and ban for growing or buying.

Issue 2 types of purchasing licence. One for locals, £100 per year, with restrictions, such as reselling, smoking in a silly place or giving to minors resulting in large fines etc. And one for tourists, £250 per year, subject to criminal records check, and possibly a futher deposit, returned when you leave the island without any pot.

The cannabis should be rated on a 3 point scale, mild, mid and strong, and priced accordingly. Government gets the money from all the licences, plus 10% on all sales.

Just my opinion like.

great idea alibaba,pity we don't have any politicians with any cojones.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/17/legalise-marijuana-tax-nyc

"Instead of spending millions on low-level drug prosecutions that disproportionally affect communities of color, why not regulate the city's $1.65bn marijuana market – and use the tax revenues to cut City University tuition in half? Instead of sending kids to the courthouse, let's send them to college."

It's hard to argue with his logic.

Here is how to do it.

Just my opinion like.

You've given this some serious thought.......and it's an excellent strategy, I think you should push this forward through the right channels. Just to clarify, I don't do drugs, smoke cigarettes and only drink alcohol two or three times a year so I have nothing to gain personally.

Seriously? You only drink twice a year? That's mad, I thought everyone drank, all the time....oh....

Ha ha...I used to drink, smoke do drugs....the whole nine yards but then I had to grow up at some point. I went out on Friday night and I still feel as though I've been poisoned now sweat.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and another study:

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/9/e003077.abstract

Conclusions With few exceptions and despite increasing investments in enforcement-based supply reduction efforts aimed at disrupting global drug supply, illegal drug prices have generally decreased while drug purity has generally increased since 1990. These findings suggest that expanding efforts at controlling the global illegal drug market through law enforcement are failing.

In short:

The war on drugs has failed. Wake the fuck up and change course instead of wasting resources.

I imagine, in say 10 years from now, the Isle of Man being the only place in the British Isles which hasn't liberalised its drug laws. Everywhere else will've de-criminalised drug possession, will enforce quality-control, and issue licenses to bona-fide premises for distribution. Taxes raised will help finance the Health Service, education and much else. The influence of gangsters and cartels wil be greatly reduced so theoretically, crime figures may come down. Essentially, there is more to be gained through decriminalising drugs than pursuing an un-winnable and costly 'war'; some people will always want to get off their face, without resorting to alcohol, or sit in private and enjoy a spliff not bothering anyone, so just what is the point in continuing?

So i can see the Island, in 2024, still hanging on to a draconian set of laws and being forced, as with the homosexuality issue, to comply, by Westminister.

Wishful thinking if anyone believes de-criminalisation will happen here anytime soon.

Archived