Decriminalise Drug Use, Say Experts After Six-Year Study

Amadeus

Well, if they like it or not, it's the only way to go. The island would be beautifully positioned to lead the field in this, but we all know that it's never going to happen. Shame, really.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amadeus is right, we didn't even relax the possession guidelines here when the UK did so the chances of it going legal is pretty much zero unless the UK does. Even then we'll probably lag. There's just no compelling reason to do it, there's not a massive social disorder problem from cannabis dealing or a significant demand for medicinal here. So why create one by legalising?

It's just not a priority for anyone, and the tourism arguments are only going to put people off too. Who wants to attract a load of stoners? Certainly not anyone who's visited Amsterdam.

so why is there a lot of packs of Rizla 6" ciggy papers being sold over here, normally with a packet of 10 ciggies,and why are all these scousers getting caught with very large amounts of cannabis.?

so why is there a lot of packs of Rizla 6" ciggy papers being sold over here, normally with a packet of 10 ciggies,and why are all these scousers getting caught with very large amounts of cannabis.?

Seems to be fairly isolated and infrequent to me. Two or three arrests a year? Certainly nothing like your average UK inner city where a high percentage of youths will be carrying which meant more relaxed 'personal use' guidelines are in place.

I'm not saying I agree with this, just saying that I think we're unlikely to be leading any change going off current policy.

• 1 month later...

Forget legalising Class B drugs like Cannabis - the Isle of Man leads the way by:

"Tynwald sits today – and there’s some bad news for those in the drugs business.
Members will debate increasing prison sentences for those dealing or producing class C drugs from five years to 14 years in prison."

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=68347

Looking over the list of class 'c' drugs, it covers Valium, Ketamine, various uppers and downers, the weaker opiods and soporifics. These are all viable as 'marketable' and all of them addictive. Ketamine has proven to be most damaging and is definitely a dangerous substance (personally, i believe it should be class 'A', two people i know, in the UK, have had their bladders removed because of it!). Its use is on the rise, its main ingredients are easily available and synthesised. It's debatable whether or not any increase in sentencing would act as the desired deterrent, though.

It's possible to buy large quantities of benzodiazepines, opioid-based pain-killers and many other 'valuable' pharmaceuticals, on the web and make money dealing them. Government just want to be seen to be carrying on the fight and doing their bit in the ongoing, costly and flawed concept of the 'War' on drugs. A bit of window-dressing.

The cannabis issue, in my opinion, is a different thing. Attitudes to it are changing.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking over the list of class 'c' drugs, it covers Valium, Ketamine, various uppers and downers, the weaker opiods and soporifics. These are all viable as 'marketable' and all of them addictive. Ketamine has proven to be most damaging and is definitely a dangerous substance (personally, i believe it should be class 'A', two people i know, in the UK, have had their bladders removed because of it!). Its use is on the rise, its main ingredients are easily available and synthesised. It's debatable whether or not any increase in sentencing would act as the desired deterrent, though.

It's possible to buy large quantities of benzodiazepines, opioid-based pain-killers and many other 'valuable' pharmaceuticals, on the web and make money dealing them. Government just want to be seen to be carrying on the fight and doing their bit in the ongoing, costly and flawed concept of the 'War' on drugs. A bit of window-dressing.

The cannabis issue, in my opinion, is a different thing. Attitudes to it are changing.

Forget legalising Class B drugs like Cannabis - the Isle of Man leads the way by:

"Tynwald sits today – and there’s some bad news for those in the drugs business.

Members will debate increasing prison sentences for those dealing or producing class C drugs from five years to 14 years in prison."

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=68347

well it looks like the I-o-m is missing the boat altogether once again! I wonder how much would be saved in judicial costs i.e police/judiciay/prison upkeep if was looked at in a more realistic way.

http://nation.time.com/2013/12/09/will-colorado-have-enough-pot-stores-to-meet-demand/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived