Decriminalise Drug Use, Say Experts After Six-Year Study

Amadeus

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but the lack of thought or lack of information as to the boundaries or safeguards for our children. Do you see why I had to post this now?

What lack of information? The government spend millions educating the public of the dangers of drugs (see film above). If I want to know about something I generally go to Erowid, they cover most things and have lots of 'experience' stories so you can gauge for yourself the level of danger involved in whatever substance you want to know about.

but the lack of thought or lack of information as to the boundaries or safeguards for our children. Do you see why I had to post this now?

What lack of information? The government spend millions educating the public of the dangers of drugs (see film above). If I want to know about something I generally go to Erowid, they cover most things and have lots of 'experience' stories so you can gauge for yourself the level of danger involved in whatever substance you want to know about.

Ok, forget about educating the minions and taken in the wrong context of what I was trying to say, but I'm not fussed about that, but lets take this one step at a time, so that there's no misunderstandings.

My interpretation of this thread is that ALL drugs should be decriminalised... Is that how you and others see it?

I don't think that would be the greatest idea. Cannabis and E's n that maybe but they'd have to regulate other things hugely - I suppose this is what they did with heroin and laughing gas when they made No2 and morphine available on the nhs or similar.

That's how I see it too. Ask yourself this Manxy, does the fact of drugs being illegal stop people from taking them? Drug use has sky-rocketed since they became illegal (which wasn't really so long ago). With heroin, which is the real bad boy I think, then the best scenario would be for people to get it prescribed by a doctor as used to happen. I can't imagine it being openly sold ever, but I don't know a heck of a lot about it, never tried it. The current scenario of ecstacy and other less harmful drugs being classed as bad as each other (by being Class A) is terrible, because if someone takes ecstacy & realises it is no big deal then they are likely to think that other drugs of the same class are equally as harmless.

Anyway, however it pans out, criminalising people for taking a substance of their own free will is wrong on so many levels.

That's how I see it too. Ask yourself this Manxy, does the fact of drugs being illegal stop people from taking them? Drug use has sky-rocketed since they became illegal (which wasn't really so long ago). With heroin, which is the real bad boy I think, then the best scenario would be for people to get it prescribed by a doctor as used to happen. I can't imagine it being openly sold ever, but I don't know a heck of a lot about it, never tried it. The current scenario of ecstacy and other less harmful drugs being classed as bad as each other (by being Class A) is terrible, because if someone takes ecstacy & realises it is no big deal then they are likely to think that other drugs of the same class are equally as harmless.

Anyway, however it pans out, criminalising people for taking a substance of their own free will is wrong on so many levels.

To answer your question - "Ask yourself this Manxy, does the fact of drugs being illegal stop people from taking them?" I whole heartedly say NO, but it does seem that you and others are missing the point I was trying to make, which is disappointing as this is incredibly important.

My point is this and couldn't give two hoots if anyone takes drugs to escape their pitiful lives, reality or even if it enhances it, but what I strongly object to, is when drugs are supplied to kids.

I therefore have to ask - Can you honestly say that it's ok to supply drugs to children? (This is dealing drugs like cannabis etc, not prescriptive drugs) Anyone?

This is my worry and you stated "criminalising people for taking a substance of their own free will is wrong on so many levels", but does that apply to children? You probably meant not, but unless you say different, your comment suggests otherwise and in something as important as this, making sweeping suggestions is complete folly and I have to flip your comment as it's wrong on so many levels.

This is what I'm getting at and whether people like it or not, then there has to be some rules to stop sellers/ suppliers from targeting children, otherwise it's giving the green light to dealers that it's ok to sell to children.

If you think I'm wrong on being concerned that dealers are ok to sell to children, regardless of what it is, then openly say so now

There has to be rules, guidelines, even to decriminalising soft drugs and strangely enough, I'm ok for adults taking drugs that makes their lives supposedly 'better', as long as they understand that if the drug makes a mess of them, then it's what they did, knew the consequences, they're responsible and wasn't something that was forced onto them, but the main thing is to protect our kids from those who would look at decriminalisation as an opportunity to sell to kids.

If you think I'm wrong on being concerned that dealers are ok to sell to children, regardless of what it is, then openly say so now

Darwinism and that. I would like to think my kids are wise about addiction, be it gambling, smoking, drinking and everyones favourite Friday mix of crack, smack and ket.

Manxy i think you're a bit mental. Where is any evidence that decriminalisation would lead to people selling drugs to children? You’ve already mentioned in your own posting that kids as young as 9 have been caught dealing to their friends, and that’s happening now whilst these things are illegal. So the current laws are not working. I was offered ecstasy & cannabis in my first year at Ballakermeen by someone in my class & this was over 20 years ago! However, I was never offered anything that was actually legal (ie cigarettes/alcohol/lighter fluid etc).

I think everyone would agree that children shouldn’t be able to buy anything that is legalised in the future, and it should be over 18s only in line with alcohol/cigarettes. But there would actually be more protection for children if these substances were legalised & their sale properly regulated. As someone else has already said, dealers are unlikely to ask for ID!

Archived