Embarassing Or What?

murraymint

:unsure: Went to Villa Marina on Friday to see Christine Collister and Dave Kelly, fantastic well worth the £10 ticket price but what a poor turn out . The band did there best too get the atmosphere going but not easy with such a small audience in such a big hall. How many times do people moan that we have nothing on in the Isle of Man but then don't support bands when they do come???????

Band and Christine brilliant------------

How many times do people moan that we have nothing on in the Isle of Man but then don't support bands when they do come???????

So, I should go to something that I don't want to see just so it's supported and then they'll think it's popular and they'll bring over more of the same thing that I'm expected to support? Awesome.

Or...

They bring over bands/acts that people DO want to see. I'm not having a go at these people, you clearly enjoyed it and I'm sure they're very good at what they do, but you can't expect people to feel morally obliged to support something they don't like.

That and the timing would appear to suck.

How many times do people moan that we have nothing on in the Isle of Man but then don't support bands when they do come???????

As others have said, it went up against the laxey festival. Why pay a tenner when you've the biggest free live music event of the year on?

Normally, I might have gone to see Christine - have seen her quite a few times now. She does have an excellent voice.

But, for me, it was a no brainer choice - Blues Festival won hands down. I'm still very happy with that choice.

I feel sorry for Christine - doing the gig stopped her seeing much of the Blues Festival :(

VERY bad timing by someone.

Who is Christine Collister ?? You ARE joking?

Um, No, I have never heard of her - but I've made the effort and been to her website today and do now. Yay!

I still won't be going to any of her performances.

Perhaps her 'select' following at the Villa is in sync with her reviews:

Review from Q Magazine for 'An Equal Love'

An old story this, how critical acclaim grows in equal degree to relative public indifference. Christine Collister fans couldn't care less, knowing as they do, that they track the path of one of the world's finest white singers.

Review from Q Magazine for 'Dark gift of time'

Despite her evocative, resonant voice, Christine Collister remains a hushed and reflectively acquired taste.

Review from Q Magazine for 'Songbird'

If Christine Collister was American and, say, a country singer she would be both revered and immensely famous. As it is, one of the finest voices to emerge from England operates in the tangled folk/ blues/ roots hinterland and is regarded by fans as a sort of cherished secret.

Review from BBC Nottingham

It might be a terrible thing to say but it does get my goat that Eva Cassidy continues to have praise heaped upon her when there are plenty of other decent singers around. I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead and I'm not going to. Eva Cassidy had a terrific voice...but Christine Collister's is just as good and she gets hardly any coverage.

So she sounds very good but its an aquired taste, cherished secret with hardly any coverage.

:unsure: Went to Villa Marina on Friday to see Christine Collister and Dave Kelly, fantastic well worth the £10 ticket price but what a poor turn out . The band did there best too get the atmosphere going but not easy with such a small audience in such a big hall. How many times do people moan that we have nothing on in the Isle of Man but then don't support bands when they do come???????

Just to intrude with a slightly more serious point, I can remember the same sort of comments being made at a time when Douglas had far more entertainment to offer - especially in the Summer. That was when there were at least five cinemas, several smaller theatres (such as the one at the Crescent and the Onchan Pavilion) plus many of the larger pubs offering live music. Unfortunately there will always be people who denigrate whatever's on offer, simply because it doesn't match their particular taste.

Having said that, the timing of Christine Collister's concert could hardly have been worse, which tends to suggest that the organisers didn't do very well with their planning.

I'm a great fan of The afternoon Play on BBC Radio 4.

Two or three years back there was a play called "Famous". The soundtrack featured throughout the play was sung by Christine Collister. It was absolutely brilliant. Anyone else hear it?

(The play was about a girl who had a brilliant voice and wanted to be famous but got on the wrong side of the rock'n'roll lifestyle - died of heroin I think. The play centred on the anguish she caused her middle class friends and family. It was pretty sad and Christine's versatile voice captured the moments in the play very well ).

Archived