Bad Publicity For The Isle Of Man Again

Darth Vader

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JUST over seven years ago, in his second budget, Gordon Brown promised to clamp down on the “shadowy men in sunny places” promoting offshore tax avoidance schemes.

Well, that counts us out then.

As to the article, it doesn't really slate us at all.

In the job I'm in, I find people try to launder money, mostly it's due to leaving cash in pockets when it goes through the washing machine, this is not a good idea as it knocks the sides of twenty p bits and Pound coins are knocked to hell.

Has anyone noticed that in Britain they call the currency, the pound. In the Gaelic it's the Punt, to all you people who speak only english, you have a lot to answer for.

It was easier when we said Argid, (money) Silver or Airh, Gold. Mmmm AH = gold Airh = gold.

This article was on the front page of last weekend's Sunday Times and I was suprised no-one posted it b4 now.

2 points to make:

1) I didn't notice the story getting any TV coverage as yet

2) No such thing as bad publicity! There's always the potential that it could give people who are NOT in the public domain the idea that an offshore trust structure to protect their assets from the Inland Revenue may not be such a bad idea!

although I found it funny that Sunday Times headline incorporated the words "Tax Haven" which only a couple of weeks ago IOM Gov were trying to promote the Island as an "International Finance Center"

Anyway, I'm sure UK Gov want an "international finance center" close to their shores (easier to monitor) rather than somewhere in the South Pacific.....

International finance is relatively non-discriminatory about geographic location, as long as the taxation regieme (sp?) and credit worthiness of the durisdiction is favourable.

:)

I thought the article was critical of 'the man who had some investments on the Island' as opposed to 'an Island where the man had his money', if that makes sense.

Apart from the term 'Tax Haven' which is hardly front page news, I don't see anything bad in the article about the Island per se.

Considering it is the Times, it could have been a lot worse.

only a couple of weeks ago IOM Gov were trying to promote the Island as an "International Finance Center"
I may be wrong, but I see the Island as a place where the Government collects taxes to cover the requirements to run the Island's services, etc..

Just because they are able to do so without hurting the pockets as much as other neighbouring Governments do, shouldn't be an excuse to insult the Island.

Our Government should be laughing at other Governments for being so inefficient. We (the Government) shouldn't be trying to defend or justify the Island's position, we should be shouting it from the rooftops!

Whatever happened to "Branding Isle of Man".

ans

....in the context of what the subject matter was......

and anyway meant as a flippant remark as indicated by the exclaimation.... sheeeese!!!

but to answer, no, because I don't have any! :lol:

Rog i have to agree with WSAG wtf you on about?? :huh:

:huh:

....in the context of what the subject matter was......

You're new round here so you're not to know that I'm rarely concerned by little things like context.

Edit: Ok, you're not new but 7 posts in 10 months? :)

Rog i have to agree with WSAG wtf you on about??  :huh:

:huh:

Put simply if the IOM were not involved in what are so often shady deals then there would not be a legitimate reason for the bad publicity.

In the past people have expressed concern not about what was being done but rather that what was being done was being made public.

Tax dodging is of questionable morality all of the time and downright immoral some of the time. It is inevitable that if the Island bases its economy on it then it will inevitably attract at least some if not many dodgy deals and dodgy dealers. It is also inevitable that the whole island will be – and in fact is – associated with such things.

Archived