Burn A Poppy, Get Arrested

Amadeus

Man due to be interviewed in connection with Facebook posting

http://www.kent.police.uk/news/latest_news/121111_burning_poppy.html

A man is due to be interviewed by police this morning following reports that a picture of a burning poppy had been posted on a social media website.

Officers were contacted at around 4pm yesterday, Sunday, 11 November 2012 and alerted to the picture, which was reportedly accompanied by an offensive comment.

Following an investigation by Kent Police a 19-year-old, Canterbury man was arrested on suspicion of an offence under the malicious communications act. He is currently in custody.

Posted on: 11 November 2012

Picture of the tweet at: http://www.legalcheek.com/2012/11/morning-round-up-monday-12-november/

Is the UK Social Media police going a little too far these days? That's Grade A police state tactics. Not saying the guy was right or it's a nice thing to do, but only because he chooses to oppose "Poppy Facism" in his own way gets him arrested? A huge WTF on this one! Too far. Way too far.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed Amadeus.

IMHO it has fuck all to do with respect for the dead of our great and glorious nation.

It is part of a zero tolerance policing policy of treating everybody like criminals for just living their life.

IMHO it is part of Bill Bratton's policy to get in lots of private security firms and privately owned prisons and make the law even more fucked up than it already is.

The more people you can criminalise the bigger the profits are going to be. Hence we have "nonsense crimes" like this to keep the police courts and prisons very very busy.

First they need to discredit the police then the "solution" will be private security firms. Then posting this on here will make me a "nonsense criminal"

Yeah, it is a silly thing to do. Doesn't really get the point across well. But things like that are the natural reaction the preciousness that surrounds such things and the expectations.

Also when the police do come along, it shows just how awful these policemen are and how awful the laws are. But it also brings to mind issues of free speech and freedom of expression, even if it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Hang on. My father was a desert rat, was at the D-day landings etc etc. My mother always told me stories of life in wartime IOM and the difficulties involved and the liberties removed, followed by the comment: But it had to be done. Our freedom was at stake. Yet it seems that the freedom of speech has already disappeared.

In later years I noticed that my father, who said little about the war, despite being wounded, became very resistant to the Big Brother tactics which were being introduced. He was not happy with the car seat belt regulation. He felt it should be his choice - klunk-klick and all that stuff from you know who. Thinking about it I realised that they had been shoved out on fhe front and saw comarades die and escaped death themselves on a daily basis. This was all in the interests of freedom. - supposedly. Yet, in later years these men were to be nannied into protecting themselves from a car crash - by order. No wonder he resented it.

He also had little time for Churchill.

I now understand his feelings. He always observed Remembrance Day and I know the loss of comrades is something they never forgot. I believe my father could see what was coming and I suspect he regretted the enormous amount of suffering and loss of life that had been wasted.

It is difficult to stomach but it was wasted imo. Tell me exactly what freedoms we have as a result? Please don't say "The freedom to vote" because that is the biggest farce of all when our politicians do the bidding of the globalists without exception.

I have the highest respect for those who took part in those horrific battles - in both world wars, but the evidence of the resulting freedom seems to be disappearing on a daily basis. So that we are all safe of course. Yeh right. What a load of wimps we have these days! Certainly, grope me at the aiirport, carry out a naked body scan, tell me what vaccinations I need and am obliged to have, tell me how to think and what I am not allowed to say - just to keep me safe. For crying out loud.

Personally I do not agree with his actions and think that those people who have died in the service of their country and also the civilians killed due to wars should be remembered.

If people wish to protest against the war then that is fine with me but just choose to do it in a more sensible manner.

Hmm, as with the other thread about remembrance where this was mentioned, I want to ask what freedoms people think have been fought for and won.

With WW2 you had the freedom from invasion and oppression that a fascist regime would have brought.

But how do people think general civil liberties were won? Do people not think they existed prior to WW2? I would say at most that killing off fascism made sure that freedoms were maintained.

And many of those hard-won freedoms have been washed away by our own governments since then - a process accelerated to a remarkable degree by the so-called 'war on terror.'

You mean the governments which have been voted in by the "majority" of the population?

(I used the word majority loosely as the turnout figures show that the people who actually get off their backsides and vote are in the minority of those actually eligible to vote.)

Burning a poppy is not very nice but it is not a crime, ask yourself what kind of society would have police arresting someone for this?

An out of control fascist police state perhaps?

Where the real crime is not doing and thinking what the "government" wants you to do and think? Isn't that what our fathers and grandfathers fought against?

To have the choice to burn a poppy and post that on facebook or not. Freedom is not something that only applies to nice people doing nice things, not so nice people should be free too.

The fact is someone has gone to the police and made a complaint and it is being investigated. It is a case of people being over sensitive and easily offended. I think the picture is out of order and the lad is an idiot/trying to be controversial but is it enough to make me go to the police? nah don't think so

The fact is someone has gone to the police and made a complaint and it is being investigated. It is a case of people being over sensitive and easily offended. I think the picture is out of order and the lad is an idiot/trying to be controversial but is it enough to make me go to the police? nah don't think so

But lots of people think like that now. People who get offended report things. I know examples from watching footage on youtube of people saying negative things about gay people. Next minute the police are in their face. They are very occasional incidents but they show where people can be so wrong.

A teenager burns a poppy and this was posted on a social media website. One person complains out of say a couple of hundred?

The Police are now involved which attracts the parasitic newspaper reporters.

The couple of hundred who saw the poppy burning has now escalated to the hundreds of thousands that watch the TV, radio and papers.

The teenager will likely end up with a fine or worse still, a menial sentence with a magistrate attempting to set an example of him.

The Winners: Complainant, Lawyers, Magistrate, social networks, media, law and order supporters, extremists etc

The Losers: The teenager (maybe), Joe Public due to the costs involved.

If only nothing had been said, it would have saved the UK thousands of pounds and many hours and days of time.

Burning a poppy is not very nice but it is not a crime, ask yourself what kind of society would have police arresting someone for this?

An out of control fascist police state perhaps?

Where the real crime is not doing and thinking what the "government" wants you to do and think? Isn't that what our fathers and grandfathers fought against?

To have the choice to burn a poppy and post that on facebook or not. Freedom is not something that only applies to nice people doing nice things, not so nice people should be free too.

Yes, that's the point. I imagine my father would not have been very impressed by the poppy burning. It is hurtful and insulting to those who fought. However, it is someone's point of view - opinion - and if it is now against the law to hold a different opinion to that of the system and the media then, sadly, we lost the war. This is not freedom.

My father could see how things were going. I see now that he could see what we made of the previous generation's sacrifice. He would never have complained about the younger generation. He was too young at heart. However, he could see through what was going on and I am sure he would have wanted me to speak out. Which I do.

I find it an insult to these men to relinquish our freedoms so that we can be safe. That to me is the ultimate disrespect.

We are all free to a greater extent than we would possibly have been under Nazi rule and we have to be grateful to your father and the many people like him.

If we had been invaded we would have had to give up all of our Jewish people, gays, freemasons. gypsies, disabled and mentally ill to the regime's death factories, and have to report any anti state activity which your neighbour may commit.

Burning a swastika would have carried a far greater punishment than a bit of a slapped wrist for offending a few people who respect the memory of those who fought and gave their lives that we should have the freedoms we have.

Archived