Texan Man Kills (Alleged) Child Molestor - But Will Not Face Jail

MilitantDogOwner

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is very true that the media run hot and cold on stories and the example given by censorship is a very good example. The chances are the media will not report on this case again until the person is sentenced (or alternatively released without charge). The details of the legal processes are not known to sell newspapers. Once the case has been concluded it is unlikely they will ever report on it again.

Either way I would much prefer the Police to conduct an investigation than rely on what the media often presents as "evidence". In my opinion it is often the standard of their reporting that leads to conspiracy theories. When in all likelihood it is just lazy journalism.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good ol'Texan boy kills a Mexican

The Father was Hispanic - or at least his father was - he speaks in Spanish in thisreport.

LDV - this report gives the Judicial Authorities views on the use of deadly force in protecting someone. It's really not that rare for someone not to be indicted if it is in defence of self or another - the US legal position is a little different than the UK one. I prefer the UK law - the stand your ground laws in Florida create too great a grey area afaic, but the idea there is some cover up / serious miscarriage of justice in this case is totally unsupported.

MDO, why are you so worked up about this case? Lots of crap goes on all around the world on a daily basis - Syria, Israel/Gaza, starvation in sub-Saharan Africa, injustice all over the place...

One man kills another, for what are arguably understandable reasons, and a jury of 12 of his peers (and that is the system we use, pretty much) find that he shouldn't be tried. End of story, isn't it?

Why punish the victims MDO, I'm sure the daughter really needs her Dad locking up on top of everything else. You've already said that you would carry out similar actions yourself, but would somehow stop short of killing him which you could never guarantee at the best of times let alone in the same circumstances as this man.

The child rapist was killed by accident in the coarse of removing him as a further threat to the young girl, that's good enough for me.

The father and daughter have been left with enough to live with, and the police and courts are free to deal with some real crime.

People get killed by accident quite a lot,

http://www.gethampsh...ouncillors_son_

http://www.telegraph...vage-fight.html

http://chronicle.aug...uled-accidental

I find this whole thread bizarre. MDO has got a bee in his bonnet about a random case 5 months ago, from the US, which has been tried in the legal system and reached a conclusion. Case closed, move on. What's the big deal? Am I missing something here???

I find this whole thread bizarre. MDO has got a bee in his bonnet about a random case 5 months ago, from another country, which has been tried in the legal system and reached a conclusion. Case closed, move on. What's the big deal? Am I missing something here???

I find this whole thread bizarre. MDO has got a bee in his bonnet about a random case 5 months ago, from another country, which has been tried in the legal system and reached a conclusion. Case closed, move on. What's the big deal? Am I missing something here???

This all came about because of a thread on Facebook, where someone was calling for waterboarding to be used in cases of child abduction. This person was heavily mis-informed about waterboarding, thinking it was totally safe and left no lasting damage.

Then things progressed onto the death penalty, and their belief that it was the answer to basically everything that was wrong with crime at the moment (in particular paedophilia).

In the course of my looking into this to pick apart his rantings, I came across this story and after reading several versions of the story, it got me wondering.

It's an interesting case, but I do not think he should have been charged either, his actions were understandable and if I came across some man raping my 4 year old daughter I would bash his head in too, and if he died, then what a bonus. In fact I would bash in the head of anyone I found raping any 4 year old, or anyone of any age, if I could. Wouldn't everyone???

It would be a natural response and I think that the father of this girl probably feels one hell of a lot happier than a father who has had his 4 year old daughter raped and the rapist sentenced to 7 years, out in 3.

Come now, who would find this man guilty if he was charged? The prosecution could use all their objections but they still wouldn't find enough jurors to convict.Mitigating circumstances are taken into account all the time, look at our very own postman who killed his wife by stabbing her 11 times and served 18 months only a few years ago, he was sentenced to just 5 years because of 'provocation' if i recall correctly

If this were to occur in the uk or iom I don't think it would ever reach court. It would likely get to the charging of an offence by police, but the prosecuting agency (cps or attorney generals) have to weigh up firstly is there a realistic likely hood of conviction ? And secondly is it in the public interest to prosecute ?

I certainly wouldn't convict anyone of any assault in these circs and don't believe many would if on a jury.

As for public interest it probably is to deter future vigilantes.

Not a decision made lightly either way.

Police HAVE a duty to investigate, it's not their call what happens. They MUST arrest the father and gather evidence accordingly.

I certainly wouldn't convict anyone of any assault in these circs and don't believe many would if on a jury.

I agreed with most of what you put except this section. It would not be assault he was charged with as the "alleged" child molester was killed as a result of the Father defending his daughter. Surley the charge would at least be manslaughter.

I will accept, however, that we are mostly basing this discussion on one very brief article.

I agreed with most of what you put except this section. It would not be assault he was charged with as the "alleged" child molester was killed as a result of the Father defending his daughter.

Sorry Manxman what i'm trying to say is had this been any level of assault (murder and Manslaughter are top end assaults if you look at the definition) say GBH in these circumstances, i think in todays UK / British society you would be hard pressed to get a conviction. In England and wales it requires a majority verdict of 10 out of twelve (as i recall) and here a absolute verdict out of 7 (or is it 9). Bear in mind the defence pretty much get to pick the jury i would guess they would plump for a host of Fathers i dont think you would get a conviction. It only takes one or two jurors to turn it on its head.

Also once the assault on the child has been discovered by the Father and stops then you could not argue you are 'defending' them as the assault is complete and not likely to re-occur in your presence.

I think that makes sense !

Archived